Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Medical Doctor
Experience:  Cardiology Expert
55099014

Could you explain to me what left atrial appendectomy and pulmonary

Could you explain to me what left atrial appendectomy and pulmonary vein isolation is please? I am having an aortic valve replacement done as well,but I can understand that bit
Thank you. Mary Dufty
Category: Cardiology
Expert:  Dr. Phil, MD replied 3 years ago.
Hello. I'm Dr. Phil, licensed and practicing internist. Excellent service is my goal.
Basically this is done for a heart rhythm problem called atrial fibrillation
This is to solve the problem in two ways
1)Left atrial appendectomy. There is a part of the heart called the left atrial appendage. This is where it is believe that clots in atrial fibrillation form. Removing this will theoretically reduce risk of clots forming
2)pulmonary vein isolation-In many folks the signal to start atrial fibrillation comes from the pulmonary vein. Isolating this electrically or burning the tissue around it will help stop bursts of atrial fibrillation.
So overall this procedure will help stop clots and stop the electrical activity that start a fib
I appreciate the excellent rating.

I would be happy to help you in the future. Just ask for feedback. Thank you. :) Dr. Phil in your question opening or bookmark this page http://www.justanswer.co.uk/medical/expert-irondoc/

I greatly appreciate a positive rating in the customer satisfaction survey that you will receive via email. It is important for me to get your feedback. Thank you. :)