Dr. Natasha
Dr. Natasha, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Training in cardiology emergencies.
16455829

I have been informed that there is a pause between my heart

Customer Question

I have been informed that there is a pause between my heart pulse beats when I am sleep and that I may need to have a pacemaker fitted.
My question is what is an acceptable pause in seconds between pulse beats before a pacemaker should be fitted
Category: Cardiology
Expert:  Dr. Natasha replied 3 years ago.

Dr. Natasha : Hello
Dr. Natasha : it depends on the pacemaker
Dr. Natasha : And how they are supposed to sense and fire
Dr. Natasha : your heart rate may be dropping at night and so the pacemaker may be firing at it's baseline rate, which is usually set at 60 bpm
Dr. Natasha : since it is troubling you, I would definitely call your cardiologist and get the pacemaker interrogated soon
Dr. Natasha : if you have any chest pain, shortness of breath, lightheadedness or other concerning symptoms, you need to go to A & E
Dr. Natasha : i hope that this helped
Dr. Natasha : please leave positive feedback if it did
Dr. Natasha : use reply for clarification :-)
JACUSTOMER-jdwftyrb- :

My Reply,

JACUSTOMER-jdwftyrb- :

My question seems to have been misunderstood. I do not have a pace maker fitted. My question is what are the recommed levels of pause between heart pulses before a pacemaker is recommended to be fitted.

Dr. Natasha : There is no recommended pause as long a you are achieving at least 60 bpm