tazechip
tazechip, MD
Experience:  Yeard of experience in Critical Care Medicine
18722459

My husband came home from our family GP yesterday ,telling

Customer Question

My husband came home from our family GP yesterday ,telling me he needed a blood preasure monitor as his BP was 168/40.Is it possible to have a high systolic and a low diastolic.We will monitor it for the next four weeks.can you explain how one can be high and the other so low.Our did my husband get tbe numbers wrong.
Category: Cardiology
Expert:  tazechip replied 2 years ago.
Hi. First off does your husband have any know medical conditions or take any medications? And do you know what his blood pressure has been in the past? And did the GP have any comments about this?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

He takes lipator 10mg at night.Bp was 140/90 last few years.Gp imformed his mum passed away 10 weeks ago nd work stress.weight ok has not increased in last 12 months.does not smoke,would have maybe 4/5 small glasses of red wine over 7 days.family history of high BP nd heart disease.

Expert:  tazechip replied 2 years ago.
OK Adrianne. Systolic hypertension is really quite common and we see in in patients his age and older. Usually the cause is just some hardening of the arteries with age but it can be from an aortic heart valve problem, or hyperthyroidism, so he needs a thyroid function check and an echocardiogram to look at those. If his pressure stays as it is then he is at risk for a heart attack or stroke and the accepted treatment is a calcium channel blocker and hydrocholorothiazide