Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Medical Doctor
Experience:  Cardiology Expert
55099014

, This is my concern. I am a 68 yr. old Male who had a fairly

Hi, This is my concern. I am a 68 yr. old Male who had a fairly mild heart attack in August 2012. As a UK citizen it seems the norm. to be put on an 80mg dosage of, in my case atorvastatin. WE have a holiday home in Spain, whist there I have my cholesterol checked quit often at the walk in pharmacies, just to keep an eye on it. It is always very low registering around 103. Immediately they as about statins and when I tell them I am on 80mg it causes them to frown and to speak with my GP in the UK. I do this when back in the UK to be told by my GP that you cannot have too low a reading of cholesterol. As such I get confused, especially when I read about the side effects of high dosages of Statins. The Spanish are saying try cutting it down and the UK doctors are saying leave it be.
Can you offer any "constructive" advise Please. Regards ***** *****
Category: Cardiology
Expert:  Dr. Phil, MD replied 2 years ago.
Hello. I'm Dr. Phil, licensed and practicing internist. Excellent service is my goal.
What is your LDL level?
Do you have any symptoms?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I do not know the answer to my LDL level, I just have the total reading which is 103

I need the LDL to tell you exactly
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I am currently at my holiday home in spain and I don't have access to, or any means of attaining my LDL.level.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I can attempt to get this info. tomorrow, is this acceptable?

OK
Basically there is no known low limit to cholesterol
Many of us think there is though. We just don't know what it is
The guidelines do recommend a high intensity statin after a heart attack. So your doctors are following guidelines
I use 40 as a cut off
If your LDL is below 40 then the statin should be reduced
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Thanks for your replies. Did you though receive my reply about my obtaining my LDL level tomorrow and is it possible to get back to you with it, if it is tomorrow? Thanks

Yes, get back to me tomorrow Anthony
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi My LDL is 1.2 mmol/L which I believe converts to 46.33. Thanks

That is fine in my opinion Anthony
I wouldn't go below 40
the statin is appropriate
I appreciate the excellent rating.

I would be happy to help you in the future. Just ask for Dr. Phil in your question opening or bookmark this page http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-irondoc/

I greatly appreciate a positive rating in the customer satisfaction survey that you will receive via email. It is important for me to get your feedback. Thank you. :)