Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Medical Doctor
Experience:  Cardiology Expert
55099014

there, can you tell me what might be the cause of palpitations

Hi there, can you tell me what might be the cause of palpitations and breathing difficulty? I've had some perplexing symptoms for a long time now but recently, can't catch my breath and heart races with the slightest exertion. I had a chest x-ray. Also some antibiotics but the symptoms are now getting so bad. Also producing far too much mucus but is the heart pumping faster to compensate for a lung problem, or the shortness of breath a heart problem? Grateful for your advice.
Category: Cardiology
Expert:  Dr. Phil, MD replied 2 years ago.
Hello. I'm Dr. Phil, licensed and practicing internist. Excellent service is my goal.
Have you had any heart tests?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

No.

You need some. It could be a heart issue
I recommend an EKG, echo cardiogram and a holter monitor
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

OK, thank you. What can cause breathing difficulties and palpitations? I also have loud tinnitus, a lot of mucus, and pain in the upper back/chest. The Dr suggested it could be asthmatic bronchitis and gave antibiotics but they've not helped. It also doesn't even mention the heart in the symptoms of A/B, and the slightest exertion makes the heart beat too quickly. Is there anything I can help lessen the symptoms that's OTC until I can get proper tests? Thanks v much.

That does sound like something respiratory to me
you could be developing pneumonia
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Apologies for the delay, would pneumonia not show on the X-ray? What would you suggest? TYVM

pneumonia doesn't necessarily show up on xray.
CAT scan may be needed
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you Dr Phil. Is it possible to have no cough at all with pneumonia? I actually had pneumonia in 2005 but it was very different to this. However, the pain is similar. There are 2 kinds of pain, a constant 'bruised' pressure pain, right around my chest/upper back and an intermittent sharper pain. The palpitations happen every time I move, even just to stand. It's like a constant fluttering and pulse that goes right through me, as if I had just been on a sprint/run. If you need me to rate this and start a new feed, happy to. I really need a solution but didn't think pneumonia could present so differently or without any cough. Would it still fit? Or what conditions present with the pain, a lot of mucus, tinnitus with the palpitations and breathing difficulties? The other thing is I am drinking a LOT of water, always thirsty, not sure if that is helpful or not. Thanks ever so. Appreciate your help.

yes, it is possible.
That would be great. why don't we rate this and start a new feed and go from there
I appreciate the excellent rating.

I would be happy to help you in the future. Just ask for feedback. Thank you. :) Dr. Phil in your question opening or bookmark this page http://www.justanswer.co.uk/medical/expert-irondoc/

I greatly appreciate a positive rating in the customer satisfaction survey that you will receive via email. It is important for me to get your feedback. Thank you. :)