Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Medical Doctor
Experience:  Cardiology Expert
55099014

My wife had a new aorta valve replacement 21st January 2015,

My wife had a new aorta valve replacement 21st January 2015, but the surgeon reported after the operation that they had cut into the left brachiocephalic vein, he said he had repaired the vein and that the swelling in her left arm may go down after six months, she was discharged after five days, then a few days later she started getting severe headaches and a swelling in her left throat area.
( they discharged her with a CRP level of 200) I tried to get the surgeon to examine her but there was no reply from him, in the end I arranged to pay for a private consultation, the consultant stated that it was more then likely the repaired vein that was causing the blood not to return to the heart , after a couple of weeks the CRP level went down to 5 (presumed it was inflammatory problems at the vein repair spot) I then sent a complaint letter about the surgeons lack of response to my concerns to the Hospital.
We then had a meeting with the surgeons consultant who apologised for the lack of attention and stated that he would organise a Venogram to check the repaired vein. The outcome was that the area of the repaired vein was very narrow approx 5mm compared to two centremeters for a normal vein, the consultant who carried out the venogram stated that a stent or a balloon would normally be used to eradicate the problem but he was concerned the narrow vein could cause a problem because the wire they use to insert a stent or balloon could be be difficult to perform due the narrow vein, he recommended that nothing be done because my wife is not suffering any swollen face, neck etc ( no symptoms) except veins on her left chest area are pronounced, presume drainage of blood is going through tributaries as well as the brachiocephalic vein back to the heart.
My questions are.
1- is this problem best left alone as the consultant is stating ?
2- Could there be problems in the future if nothing is done now ?
3- Could a bypass be performed if a stent is not recommended.?
4- Could a claim be made against the hospital for negligence for the mistake they made, and also the lack of backup when severe headaches were experienced after hospital stay ?
Category: Cardiology
Expert:  Dr. Phil, MD replied 2 years ago.
Hello. I'm Dr. Phil, licensed and practicing internist. Excellent service is my goal.
I'm sorry this happened
Yes, absolutely. It is better not to go in and mess around if there are minimal symtpoms
No, the damage is done. The accessory veins are taking over as they should. This is a good outcome actually
I wouldn't recommend this at all. Either one.
Not likely. You would have to prove irreparable harm like permanent disability. While the situation was unfortunate, she seems to be doing fine
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks for reply, obviously our main concern is the very unusual small width of the vein 5mm, can the accessory veins take over from the great vein and do you think in the long term that it should be OK,because if anything is going to happen it would be better to have any remedial work done soon before she gets older. The enlarged veins (accessory veins) are showing up very pronounced, is that OK

Yes, I do think they can take over and I think they will be fine in the long term.
The accessory veins are very pronounced but that is fine
I feel that this is a good outcome
I'm sorry about the late reply
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

thank you fr your advice

you're welcome :)
please don't forget a positive rating. I appreciate it and that is how we are credited for our work. thank you
I appreciate the excellent rating.

I would be happy to help you in the future. Just ask for feedback. Thank you. :) Dr. Phil in your question opening or bookmark this page http://www.justanswer.co.uk/medical/expert-irondoc/

I greatly appreciate a positive rating in the customer satisfaction survey that you will receive via email. It is important for me to get your feedback. Thank you. :)