Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Medical Doctor
Experience:  Cardiology Expert
55099014

, in the last year, on a daily basis, I believe that I

Customer Question

Hello, in the last year, on a daily basis, I believe that I may be experiencing all the classic symptoms of Mitral Valve Prolapse Syndome/Dysautonomia. It feels as though my nervous system is out of sync and my body cant tell the difference between good stress and bad stress. My pulse feels hard and bounding for the majority of my day, and when I stand up my pulse stays at about 100bpm. If I experience any minimal everyday stress, such as concentrating on my office work, I sometimes notice that my pulse is elevated and can sometimes hit 120bpm, especially if I am standing. My blood pressure is slightly elevated 140/80.
My symptoms occur everyday like clockwork. They occur for the majority of the day, and have been so for the last year. Sometimes it's very debilitating.
I am certain that this problem is not just 'anxiety', and has deeper cause.
I also have Pectus Excavatum (a congenital deformity of the anterior wall of my chest), and have read that MVP is very common in persons with condition.
A holter monitor showed no arrhythmia apart from plenty of sinus tachycardia during the afternoon.
I have had an electrocardiogram which did not show any abnormalities.
My question is this, is it possible for somebody to have MVPS but not acutally have MVP?. Is it also possible for MVP to not be obvious in an echocardiogram?
Im finding it difficulty to know what steps to take next, what specialist to see, and what tests to have to get a diagnosis . Can you advise
Category: Cardiology
Expert:  Dr. Phil, MD replied 1 year ago.
Hello. I'm Dr. Phil, licensed and practicing internist. Excellent service is my goal.
have you had other tests to rule out other problems like hyperthryoid?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

yes i have had a blood test for hyperthyroid which was negative

Do you take any other meds?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I take amlodipine for hypertension

Well there's one cause right there
Amlodipine causes rebound tachycardia
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I have tried taking a break from the medication for 2 weeks and it made no difference. Previous to taking amlodipine i was taking ace inhibitors and having the same problem.....