Dr .Saeed ahmed
Dr .Saeed ahmed, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS/FCPS(R)/MRCP U.K(R), Senior Registrar Cardiology
16248889

Madam, I have been having regular palpitations

Customer Question

Dear Sir/Madam, I have been having regular palpitations for the last few months and have been very concerned. I get regular flutters in my chest, i can feel my heart pounding and i sometimes get added beats. I can feel an uneasy irregular sensation in my chest and i can feel that my heart is unusual. I have had lots of ECGs conducted, an Echocardiogram of my heart, Two 24 hour ECG tapes and a Event recorder. All very reassuringly have come back normal and especially my heart scan this came back as a normal study. The only thing that has come back is one ECG caught the heartbeat more abnormally irregular and the baseline is more chaotic. This has been diagnosed as ectopics or added beats, i have never had any symptoms of dizziness or shortness of breath. This is very reassuringly for me and i have been told i can come to no harm from these episodes but even now the palpitations are very bad and make my feel very uneasy and they are spoiling my quality of life, i really am struggling to cope. I know i am not in any danger but the palpitations are so forceful and the flutters in my chest make me feel very uneasy. If i am trying to relax or read a book i cannot concentrate and i focus on the heart rhythm i just lye down and try to forget them. I really want some help on what i can do from here to try and find a solution or at least a way to limit these episodes. If anyone knows if i should have a blood test to check my vitamin and mineral levels would this be beneficial? I have been fit and well since birth and these are really getting me down. I cannot leave the situation and i really want to find out more and try to limit these symptoms or find better ways of coping. Where do i go from here i am so depressed. I have noted that exercise helps and when i am walking these episodes get less, but as you can imagine i cannot walk all day everyday there must be something else i can do, should i go back and see my GP to discuss managing this condition? Yours faithfully, John XXXXXX

Category: Cardiology
Expert:  Dr .Saeed ahmed replied 2 years ago.

I will try my best to assist you with your queries.

These symptoms are due to abnormal beats and best treatment option is low dose beta blocker medicine like Metoprolol succinate 25mg half twice daily best helps these symptoms.

I hope this helps.

Let me know if you have questions.

Do rate my response as positive if no further questions, thank you.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Dear Dr Saeed Ahmed,

Thank you for your response.

I have brought this question up with my local doctor about medication and he stated that the best treatment is not beta blockers, as i may suffer from the side effects that this treatment offers. He has stated that as a young person this is not a viable option.

This is why i asked specifically for other blood tests that may be able to be considered to see if there is anything further abnormal? Is there also anything you can suggest in my lifestyle, health supplements that may help lessen these symptoms please?

Yours sincerely,

John XXXXX

Thank you for your reply,

If no beta blockers because he might be suspecting sexual dysfunction which occurs only in 2% cases.

Then calcium channel blockers is the second best option.

Yes there are certain medicine like gincobiloba, gingseng, trimetazidine that can help. Less intake of salt and caffeine also helps.

I hope this helps.

Do rate as positive if no further questions thank you.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Dear Dr Saeed Ahmed,

My doctor has advised that any kind of medication even calcium channel blockers are not good options. These are masking the symptoms but do not actually work on repairing these irregular beats.

Can you please answer my questions below in detail as i so far am not happy with the response provided from you.

Do you know any good exercises i can do at home to limit these ectopic beats? Whether it is moving into certain positions or actual physical exercises such as press ups that i can do?

Will splashing water on my face likely help with stopping these irregular beats through the shock of the cold water?

Why do you think these irregular beats have started for no reason, i have been fit and well for many years, why have they started with no medical explanation from my doctor?

What diet is good to try and limit these irregular beats? Should i be eating certain foods?

Do you think i should take any supplements, natural ones that might help for instance Magnesium. Do you know of any supplements that might help with these irregular beats?

What are some good techniques to soothe stress please that can be done at home and stay relaxed?

I really need you to answer my questions in order so i can try get some quality back in my life and i can leave you good feedback. Please spend a little more time answering my question in detail. I really feel your answers are brief and a little rushed. Please understand i am suffering here very badly with these symptoms.

Yours sincerely,

John XXXXX

Hello, thank you for your reply,Would you please rate as positive before I can proceed with detailed answers of your listed questions, fairly speaking your questions are too many for 9 dollars. Thank you.
Dr .Saeed ahmed, Doctor
Experience: MBBS/FCPS(R)/MRCP U.K(R), Senior Registrar Cardiology
Thank you john fellows do not forget to rate my reply thank you.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Dear Dr Saeed Ahmed,

I have rated your answer even though i am not satisfied at the response yet, i have rated you because you have asked.

I would appreciate if you could answer my further questions. I will leave a bonus and a tip if i get a detailed and comprehensive answer.

Yours sincerely,

John XXXXX

Thank you for your reply,

It is true that these medicine do not prevent or repair the damage to the heart, but these are only meant to block the symptoms and prevent the chance of more serious arrythmias.

There are no specific exercises that are mentioned in the literature, practically we advise running at 4-9km/h as the best exercise for such cases.

There is no data to show that splashing the face with water helps such cases.

Harmfuk foods are caffeine, spicy items, red meat, nuts all can increase the frequency of ectopics. While fruits like bananas and orange helps.

Only magnesium has some data that shows promise but none are recommended to block these abnormal beats.

Breathing exercises and yoga.

I hope this helps. Net service in my area is badly efffected due to rain and storms so apologies for delay.

Have a nice day.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Dear Dr Saeed Ahmed,

What about exercises i can do at home such as press-ups, sit-ups and squats this will get the heart going and generally when i exercise i feel okay, am i okay to do this? I do not always have the time to go running, therefore this is why i wanted some exercises that i can do conveniently at anytime when the symptoms occur? Can you suggest anything further?

Can i eat more of a certain food or add to my diet, is there anything you can suggest that might be beneficial? Do you recommend eating less sugar such as chocolate and muffins? Do you think alot of sugar in the diet could worsen these palpitations?

Is there any kind of herbal supplement such as omega-3 that might be beneficial taking or chai seeds, these supplements especially omega-3 which may help settle abnormal beats? Am i okay to try this as obviously anything to help would be beneficial?

I have also read that, the amino acid taurine helps quell irregular electrical impulses in the heart. Can i try taurine and see if this helps?

Yours sincerely,

John XXXXX

Thank you for your detailed reply,
Yes you can do push ups and home exercises they are helpful in such cases.
Fresh fruits and juices are helpful while fatty items and high carbohydrate diets can worsen this issue.
Gingseng, trimetazidine and omega 3 fatty acids are helpful and should be used.
while for taurine there is no data to recommend its use.
I hope this answers your questions, thank you.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Dear Dr Saeed Ahmed,

When you say there is no data for Magnesium and Taurine is this saying i should not try this? Or am i still able to try this even though there is no data, are these supplements safe to try on a trial basis?

Yours sincerely,

John XXXXX

Thank you for your reply,
It means there are no large studies supporting it use as beneficial. So we do not give these supplements to our patients.
Thank you. Do not forget to leave a bonus, have a nice day.