Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Medical Doctor
Experience:  Cardiology Expert
55099014

There, Wondered if i could ask advise regarding

Hi there,
Wondered if i could ask for some advise regarding my dad.
He had a stroke back in October which turned out to be caused by atrial fibrillation.
He had become very symptomatic the last couple of months so we went to see a cardiologist to get something done about it.
The cardiologist said that he could give him tablets as the heart rate was normal and the tablets would slow his heart rate more so that wasn't an option
He had a echo and 24hr monitor done and the decision was to have a cardioversion.
This was done on Friday and normal sinus rhythm was restored after the first attempt.
The dr at the time said that he would be put on medication to hopefully keep the heart in rhythm but this hasn't been done yet.
What i want to know really is what is the reason for delaying medication? Surely once the heart is back in rhythm you would prescribe medication straight away?
Also the main symptom that my father was experiencing was breathlessness, he is still a little puffed but nothing like before, is this a normal part of the recovery?
Thanks in advance
Category: Cardiology
Expert:  Dr. Phil, MD replied 2 years ago.
Hello. I'm Dr. Phil, licensed and practicing internist. Excellent service is my goal.
What meds is he on now?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Just warfarin and simastatin

You are correct Mark.
Generally meds will be started right away.
I can't see a reason not to.
I would have used amiodarone or something of that nature.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

So what would be the reason for waiting?

I really have no idea.
Perhaps it was a mistake.
I can't think of any good rationale
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Ok i will have to question them about that then,

With regards ***** ***** breathlessness is this something that should be sorted as soon as the heart is back in normal rhythm or will it take time to recover, he was probably bad and did nothing for about 3-4 months, he says hes not as breathless during the day but more so at night.

That could be a sign of heart failure
If he is short of breath with laying flat, that is an issue that needs to be brought up with cardiology
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

At what point would a pacemaker be an option?

I noticed you have not provided a positive rating for my services
I am happy to help you further but would need a positive rating first.