Dr .Saeed ahmed
Dr .Saeed ahmed, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS/FCPS(R)/MRCP U.K(R), Senior Registrar Cardiology
16248889

40mm aortic root dilation and aortic valve regurtion. What

40mm aortic root dilation and aortic valve regurtion. What life changes should been done. And how serious is this
Category: Cardiology
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 2 years ago.
Hello from JustAnswer.

The lifestyle changes that are appropriate in this situation are those that can help to lower blood pressure. Even if the blood pressure is consistently within the normal range, lowering the blood pressure within the normal range will typically help blood to flow in the proper direction. When there is regurgitation at the aortic valve, that means that blood is flowing backwards, and a lower blood pressure in the aorta will lead to less regurgitation.

There are several lifestyle interventions that can help with lowering blood pressure. It is important to avoid salt/sodium. The amount of sodium that is naturally present in food is fine, but additional sodium during processing, cooking, and at the table should be avoided. In addition, eating a healthy, low-fat diet is also appropriate. Getting regular aerobic exercise will also help keep blood pressure lower. It is also important to achieve or maintain ideal body weight.

Your doctor may also decide to use a medicine to lower blood pressure, but that will depend upon the blood pressure after the lifestyle interventions.

The seriousness is directly related to the severity of the regurgitation. Mild regurgitation is generally very well tolerated and is not as serious, other than periodic monitoring to assure that it is not getting worse. Severe regurgitation, though, requires much more work by the heart to successfully pump the normal amount of blood, and the extra strain on the heart can lead to congestive heart failure. In someone with more severe regurgitation, it may be necessary to consider surgery on the valve.

If I can provide any further information, please let me know.
Expert:  Dr .Saeed ahmed replied 2 years ago.

Welcome to JustAnswer and thank you for your question. I do not agree with this general info by dr love which does not give any recommended guidelines by AHA and ESC.

I your case you need to evaluate how severe is your aortic regurgitation.
If it is severe then you need medicine like beta blockers and ACIi to slow the progress of the aortic dilation.
Echo after every 1 year is recommended.

light exercise like walking a dog and walking on flat ground is recommended more severe exercises are harmful. Other simple way to assess type of exercise you can do is to not to exceed your speed more than 4-5km/h.

Controlling blood pressure and keeping it less than 140/90 is recommended.

Salt intake of less than 2.5 grams per day.

If you also have family history of marfans, ehlers danlos then you need surveillance of you family as well with help of echocardiogram.

Beta blockers and ACEi are medicine which have proven role to slow the progress of dilation.

Any symptoms of dizziness, blackouts, cold hand and feet, low blood pressure, severe chest or abdominal pain should be treated as emergency visit as these symptoms indicate an emergency in people with dilated aorta.

I hope this helps.

Let me know if you have questions.

Do rate my reply as positive, thank you. Simply use reply to post your questions.

Dr .Saeed ahmed, Doctor
Experience: MBBS/FCPS(R)/MRCP U.K(R), Senior Registrar Cardiology