Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Medical Doctor
Experience:  Cardiology Expert
55099014

I had peracardits 7 years ago, but overtime I get an Ecg

I had peracardits 7 years ago, but every time I get an Ecg done, it reads like I am in the middle of a heart attack, which is obviously not the case. I am a very fit 44 year old (elite level cyclist). My real question is really to try and understand why it continues to read so abnormally after all these years ?

Also, I had a full fluid MRI done about 3 years ago while working in New York. I had a bit of chest discomfort over a couple of days, the GP saw my Ecg and rushed me off to hospital. I was fine but went through every possible test. I also had multiple Cardiologist follow ups post my episode in 2008.

The reason for this latest ecg was me complaining about a bit of lightheadedness when standing up. Blood pressure is fine, resting pulse is around the 45 mark.

Category: Cardiology
Expert:  Dr. Phil, MD replied 2 years ago.
don't you think it is because you are an elite cyclist?that will change your EKG dramatically
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

How ?

because your heart muscle is much thicker than the average personIt is like any other muscle you trainathletes have totally different heartsthis creates a different looking electrical current on EKG