Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Medical Doctor
Experience:  Cardiology Expert
55099014

I have been having palpitations during my menstrual cycle

Customer Question

Hi i have been having palpitations during my menstrual cycle very briefly.. they tend to occur for about 3 minutes where my heart will race. Sometimes with this if i am lying in a dark room i can see my pulse like a flashing light in front of my eyes (this flashing light ony happens at the same time as my palpitations i never see this on a regular day). I also sometimes get pins and needles in my fingers when this happens. Another online doctor told me this is a medical emergency.. is it? I have had this every month for the last few years. I do not have any palpitations at any other time, and my ECG with my GP came back normal. I feel it is linked to my hormones but this other online doctor has now made me panic and i am worried now. What do u think? This ll started after i had my first child... i had sinus tachycardia in my pregnancy and pre eclampsia at the very end of pregnancy. Could this have triggered something? Blood tests were also done for thyroid etc.. results all normal

Category: Cardiology
Expert:  Dr. Phil, MD replied 1 year ago.
any other medical issues?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No no other issues

I don't think it is an emergency if it is the same over years. I do think you should see your GP and get a holter monitor. This is a monitor you wear for several hours for the heart. Time it to when you will be getting the symtpoms. That way, we can track and find out what they are exactly
I noticed that our chat is not complete.

My main goal is your 100% satisfaction and for you to consider this service excellent. If you are not 100% satisfied, just click reply and I will happily provide more information.