Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Medical Doctor
Experience:  Cardiology Expert
55099014

I have been told after a number of tests that I have an accessory

I have been told after a number of tests that I have an accessory pathway, after presenting with an occasional irregular heartbeat. I am sensitive to caffeine and limit consumption of anything that has caffeine in it, as this leads to more episodes of irregularity and feelings of mild restrictive pressure inside the chest ( the same sort of feeling you get with heightened anxiety)
Every 2-3 days I experience an episode of irregularity which causes the heart to skip a beat. During this episode, there is no pain, but I feel the sensation of my heart "resetting" itself.
My question is, when the heart is performing this "resetting action" and skipping a beat or two, is this action causing any harm to my heart and or system?
I was also told about a possible procedure to fix the issue, by lasering away the accessory pathway. Is this procedure very low risk?
Category: Cardiology
Expert:  Dr. Phil, MD replied 1 year ago.
No, this is not any harm to the systemThey are common and benignYou can take beta blockers to stop it too