Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Medical Doctor
Experience:  Cardiology Expert
55099014

I was up a and e end of march with chest pains. they found

I was up a and e end of march with chest pains. they found I had a slow irregular heartbeat and to follow up with my gp. My gp said this was normal. He gave me propanolol and sent me on my way. Tuesday just gone I ended up a and e again with chest pains and they found my slow irregular heart beat again and said I shouldn't be on propanolol. My heart beat was 35 the lowest. I have been getting symptoms like dizziness, chronic fatigue, bad circulation and pain most the time. I find it hard to do daily activities. My gp yesterday said she wanted to lower dose of propanolol and isn't going to refer me to a cardiologist, even though I'm getting bad symptoms. I am now here worrying. I have a heart problem that isn't being investigated. Do you think I need to see another doctor to get referred? Am I going to be OK? I'm only 30. Thanks.
Category: Cardiology
Expert:  Dr. Phil, MD replied 1 year ago.
Yes, you need a cardiac workupThat is ridiculous that you were put on propranolol when your heart rate was already lowI think you need an echocardiogram and a holter monitor
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What is the additional thing you are offering please?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I had an ECG up the hospital and it was irregular
Just extended chat time.Yes you need an echocardiogram (ultrasound of the heart) and a holter
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I can't afford another 21 pounds unfortunately. Am I right to worry I'm going to have a stroke or heart attack if I don't get this sorted soon?
don't worry about it then. The additional serviceI don't think you will have a heart attack but you need further testing for sure
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok. Do you think they'll have to put me on any meds or pace maker or anything?
meds maybepacemaker no
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I guess it's just a waiting game. It's just making me so anxious. I have a 4 year old and don't want to die, it sounds stupid but when I get the pain that's how I feel!
you are not going to die.I'm quite sure of that
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Would aspirin help me feel better while I'm waiting for an appointment with a local cardiologist?
No. Not at all
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is there anything I can do to make myself feel better while I'm waiting? I'm tired and dizzy all the time even after a good sleep.
I would try meclizine. You can get it over the counter. It might help
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok thanks for your help. I'm going to push to get referred like the a and e doctor told me to do. They should have his letter by now hopefully, will go tomorrow to gp
ok let me know what happens