Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Medical Doctor
Experience:  Cardiology Expert
55099014

A year ago I was diagnosed with POTS. However I never suffer

A year ago I was diagnosed with POTS. However I never suffer with tachycardia. Instead I constantly suffer with sinus bradycardia. I've managed the symptoms quite well for some time. But I've recently had a UTI and have been quite unwell. This has brought on the same symptoms I suffered last year, feeling faint, heart rate dropping, lips and hands tingling, etc. From everything I've read this is not symptomatic of POTS. Moreover my heart rate isn't affected by my position.
Category: Cardiology
Expert:  Dr. Phil, MD replied 1 year ago.
Hello. I'm Dr. Phil, licensed and practicing internist. Excellent service is my goal.
what tests have you had?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I was hospitalised for 10 days as I kept fainting. I was hooked up to a hear monitor that entire period which recorded the Bradycardia and Apnea on occasion (not just at night). So I had the battery of tests. ECG, tilt test, angiogram. They told me my heart itself was extremely healthy and that given its condition they were confident I'd never have a heart attach. Another cardiologust called it extremes of norm. But the extreme never goes in the fast direction. It is however often very erratic.
what meds have you tried?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
None
I would try something to increase the heart rate like midodrine. I bet it would help
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't really just want to take medication. I want to know what's causing it. Does it sound like POTS to you? Or something else?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry I don't feel my question has been answered and yet I'm being asked for more money?
It sounds more like dysautonomia which is a cousin of POTS
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Based on what do you think? I ask because I want to go back to my GP and I don't want to just say I spoke to a cardiologist online and he thinks i may have dysautonomia
Because your body is having trouble regulating your heart rate. That is a nervous system issue. Not a heart issue. hence, dysautonomia
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. That's helpful. Is there anything you'd advise me to say? When I challenged the cardio last year about his POTS diagnosis he didn't acknowledge the bradycardia at all. I just want to ensure I'm listened to. I travel a lot with work and yesterday I felt another fainting spell come on, I can't afford anything to happen to me while travelling.
I would just be honest and tell them that you are worried and need help
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok. One last thing. I'm in the UK. Do we have a different term for this condition?
No it is the same
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. I appreciate your help.