Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Medical Doctor
Experience:  Cardiology Expert
55099014

My wife died suddenly. The post mortem stated her heart was

Customer Question

My wife died suddenly. The post mortem stated her heart was twice the normal size and had LVH and RVH. She had an Echocardiogram just 10 days before she died and the result was a normal sized functioning heart with no LVH and no RVH. Also 6 months earlier she had stress gated heart and lung tests which were all confirmed as normal and she was entered on to the kidney transplant list. How could her heart have doubled in size and have LVH and RVH<
Dennis
Category: Cardiology
Expert:  Dr. Phil, MD replied 1 year ago.
any other medical symptoms?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My wife had been on dialysis for 6 months for kidney failure.
The results of her stress gated nuclear heart and lung tests 6 months earlier was stated as -
‘She has no organomegaly. There are good peripheral pulses and femoral pulse on both sides. After reviewing her investigations they are satisfactory. She had a cardiac echo which suggested a good LV function. She had a Myoview scan which shows no ischemia on the heart and she has a duplex scan of the iliac vessels which are also normal.’ My wife’s heart was normal with no LVH.And 10 days before my wife died another echo cardiogram which also concluded ‘LV and RV appear normal size with good biventricular systolic function’.
Dennis
this is some type of acute cardiomyopathy DennisMany things can do this1)arrhythmia2)tachycardia3)heart attack (MI)4)alcohol5)virus This must have been a dramatic change that did it.I'm so sorry for your loss
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your response.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your response last week. I just have one follow up question. As I explained my wife's heart was twice normal size as described by the pathologist when he did the post mortem. The cardiac echogram just 10 days earlier was perfectly normal. Is it possible for the heart to double in size in such a short period of time. I had understood that such an increase in size usually occurred over a much longer period of time? Could the first 3 possibilities you have identified result in such an increase in her heart size. I should mention I performed CPR for about 30 minutes while waiting for ambulance to arrive.
Dennis
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have paid the amount requested to ask another question but I don't seem to be able to get a response?
Yes, it can Dennis.That time of being down and having CPR could have done it.You did your best I'm sure but yes that could have caused it. I'm sorry
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your explanation - I am grateful.
Dennis
you're welcome