Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Medical Doctor
Experience:  Cardiology Expert
55099014

I had a dual chamber pacemaker fitted in Dec 2014 when I was

I had a dual chamber pacemaker fitted in Dec 2014 when I was diagnosed with Bradicardia (25 overnight) and heart block(2 sometimes full).I felt unwell in April 2015 and it was found I had a lead displacement (I think in the RA).
All was then well for several months, I started playing golf again in late July (3 1/2 month after my Op).Went walking in the Brecon Beacons in September and felt ok (but slow compared with previous years).
During November started to feel more breathless and in December when out cycling felt really bad on a hill I have a few weeks before had no problem with.
Went back to the Pacer clinic and after an x-ray was told I again have a lead displaced and next Thursday go into Poole Hospital to have a new lead fitted.
Could the golf have caused this? If not I am at a loss to understand what has happened.
Ian S.
Category: Cardiology
Expert:  Dr .Saeed ahmed replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question, yes it can cause lead displacement, as you fling your arms for short it causes stretching of the pacemaker lead. This can cause fracture or displacement both, this is the reason we ask patients not to raise their pacemaker site arm too fast. Let me know if you have questions, thank you.
Expert:  Dr. Phil, MD replied 1 year ago.
I noticed you gave a negative rating.I am another expert.Can I help?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I hadn't played any golf when I had the first problem in April so golf didn't cause that and it was some 7 months after the April Op that I started having a problem.
If the golf is the most likely problem I will have to give the game up but I would like to know if there any other likely contributors?
Thanks for this reply sir.Unfortunately, lead displacements happen all the time.I don't think you need to give up the sport. This could have been error on the doctor's part too.As for the shortness of breath, I am slightly worried about this.If the shortness of breath doesn't improve after fixing the lead you need to make sure this isn't angina. Angina can sometimes come as shortness of breath
Dr. Phil, MD, Medical Doctor
Experience: Cardiology Expert