Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Medical Doctor
Experience:  Cardiology Expert
55099014

I'm a 34 year old man who has quit smoking year,

Hi,I'm a 34 year old man who has quit smoking for 1 year, previous to which I smoked around 10 roll up cigarettes per week, over a period of 8 years.My mom was a 25 a day smoker for 25 years prior to being diagnosed with lung cancer aged 42, at which point she stopped.I now regularly exercise (running, gym).Does this mean that I will get lung cancer at 42? Or have my chances now markedly better given that I have given up, and what more smoked for only 1/3 of the time my mom did, at a lower level.Do you suggest I get screened when I am around 40 years of age?
Category: Cardiology
Expert:  Dr. Phil, MD replied 1 year ago.
No this doesn't mean you will get lung cancer.You will be at lower risk because you quithowever, you would also not quality for screening.Your doctor could order a CAT scan for you if he agrees
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for the quick and detailed response, I'll be sure to leave appropriate feedback.Given that i do not qualify for screening, do you suggest that I should ask my doctor for this or is there minimal reason now that I have quit.
I would suggest minimal reason now that you have quitThe federal government now does endorse lung cancer screening in current and former smokers but not until age 55.That may changeI wouldn't ask for a CAT scan if I were you.Just focus on health here on out
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you doctor, that's great.I'll be sure to ask for again if needs be!Regards,