Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Medical Doctor
Experience:  Cardiology Expert
55099014

I'm a 34 year old man who has quit smoking year,

I'm a 34 year old man who has quit smoking for 1 year, previous to which I smoked around 10 roll up cigarettes per week, over a period of 8 years.My mom was a 25 a day smoker for 25 years prior to being diagnosed with lung cancer aged 42, at which point she stopped.I now regularly exercise (running, gym) and try and eat healthy after changes to my lifestyle when I quit, conscious of my family history.Does this mean that I will get lung cancer at 42? Or are my chances now better given that I have given up, and what more smoked for only 1/3 of the time my mom did, at a lower level.Do you suggest I get screened when I am around 40 years of age?I suffer with anxiety so any assistance would be grate appreciated.
Category: Cardiology
Expert:  Dr. Phil, MD replied 1 year ago.
Hi there.Dr. Phil here.I'm happy to helpNo, you will not get lung cancer at 40 and screening isn't recommended.I would continue to do what you are doing.Congrats on the healthy changes!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks Doctor,I suffer quite badly with health anxiety, which I aim to tackle.Is it generally thought that lungs can heal over time? I have calculated by 'pack years' based on my smoking habits and it equates to c5 years. Is this a large amount?Thanks for the great service.
Sorry the question was moved to another category and I couldn't answer1)yes, the lungs can heal. Especially at your young age.2)no that is not a lot
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you Dr!My apologies, I originally categorised my question as Cardiology rather than Oncology!
Am I correct in thinking that it has made it through to the correct area?
yes, you are