Dr .Saeed ahmed
Dr .Saeed ahmed, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS/FCPS(R)/MRCP U.K(R), Senior Registrar Cardiology
16248889

There,My son (aged 3) is due pacemaker to be

Hi there,My son (aged 3) is due for a pacemaker to be fitted on the 30th for a complete heart block and should only be in hospital for 2 days after surgery if all goes well.
I haven't been told which kind of pacemaker surgery he will be having - transvenous or epicardial.From his age and hospital stay can you judge which this is likely to be? I can't call his cardiologist as it's the weekend.
Category: Cardiology
Expert:  Dr .Saeed ahmed replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question, most likely 48-72 hours if no complications is the standard hospital stay after transvenous pacemaker. Epicardial pacemakers are rarely used now a days because of more complications and prolong hospital stay. Let me know if you have questions, thank you.