Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Medical Doctor
Experience:  Cardiology Expert
55099014

I am 32 years old, do not smoke, 5,11 & 12 stone. I have

Hi, I am 32 years old, do not smoke, 5,11 & 12 stone. I have had around 4 ECG's over the last 8 years, 2 stress tests & scan of the heart. I have a fear of the heart, a sort of phobia but today I was working on my laptop and my heart felt DID slow down on one beat and it took longer for the next beat, this happened a 2nd time then I jumped of my seat in fear and it was beating normal again, maybe a little faster. This really scares me & I need to understand why this happens & WHY more importantly it will not kill me? I can't understand why this would be normal, it;s the first time I think I have had 2 in a row, it's like the heart is struggling for a split second but then regains it's normal beat, why would this happen and my fear again is that it will maybe FAIL, GET IN A RHYTHM DISTURBANCE OR BRING ON A STROKE? Please help.....
Category: Cardiology
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Dr. Phil, MD replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for this questionHave you ever had a holter monitor?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes, I have had this twice. In the last two years I had one, it picked up an ectopic beat but I was told this was a normal finding in myself. I was training for football/soccer at the time
Yes, these beats you are feeling are normalThey are called PVCs. Everyone gets them.Especially athletic people
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can you reassure me that it will not cause my heart to fail, go into a rhythm or stroke as I read about heart turbulence and worry this could happen? I just need to understand why and how my heart is strong & will not fail or has any electrical or underlying issues? Much appreciated.
Yes, I can assure you of thisNormal, young healthy people don't just drop dead for no reasonDoesn't happen
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sure, but how does the heart make sure that these weird feeling beats don't cause problems, it almost feels like the heart has stopped (albeit it's a matter of a split second, it feels like the heart is struggling) ?
The heart has 3 or 4 internal backup mechanisms that take over.In fact the extra beat IS one of the internal backups
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What are the main back ups to reassure myself?When you say young healthy people don't just drop dead, what about soccer/football players that die from cardiac issues, or people that fall asleep and do not wake up but are healthy & exercise, that's my main worry when I feel these disturbances in the heart.Greatly appreciated Dr Phil.
The main backups are the AV node. This node will beat on its own if the main pacemaker fails.The secondary backup is the left ventricle. That will beat on its won. Do you know anyone who that has happened to? No, it is incredibly rare. Plus, there are always signs like chest pain, dizziness, etc that are ignored
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okay....it's just plagued me for years...ups and downs with it...but at times like today it rears it's ugly head and I need reassurance.I did know a player that it happened too and was fit & healthy, anytime I see this I struggle. I had to stop playing football recently and leave the field as I could hardly breath but I guess this was anxiety brought on with fear thoughts...it happens in the gym also meaning I have to leave as I feel dizzy. My granda also had a massive heart attack at 59 which always plagues me...my dad is 55 though and just slight high BP but nothing of concern. All my tests have been fine but can't accept it for some reason, maybe the wiring in my head, albeit I lead a very good life and have a great family life.
I think this is all anxiety
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
So based upon my details I have given you and the fact I have had holters, ECG's scans etc would you be happy for me to push my body to the limit in the gym and at football even when I get the anxiety, dizziness etc?#And obviously with the PVC's then, should I just ignore these and when should I take notice if needed?
Yes, to all of that. You are fine
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okay, thank you.
you're welcome :)good luck