Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Medical Doctor
Experience:  Cardiology Expert
55099014

I have had Odema in my ankles since July 2015 following a

I have had Odema in my ankles since July 2015 following a long flight from Mexico. I was referred to the vascular clinic to have my legs scanned. Doppler ultra sound. I am awaiting consultants advice but person performing scan said I have 'a slow return in my left ankle'. Slow return of what & from where?? My veins & artries looked fine however. Is this related to my heart??? Before scan consultant said it could be one of 2 things causing the Odema. My veins or lymphedema.. I just want another perspective given - the 'slow return' comment. Thanks, Wendy
Category: Cardiology
Expert:  Dr. Phil, MD replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for this question WendyIt is MOST likely not related to your heartThis type of edema after a hot trip to Mexico is usually always the veins.Are you overweight?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No I am not overweight.I am interested to know what is meant by a 'slow return' in my left ankle. Please comment on this.
This means that the venous return to the heart is slowIt could be a variety of things but generally this is a bad valve in one of your veins
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok thank you.What will be the next step for me?How can this issue be resolved?Is my heart at risk??Many thanks
Heart is not at risk. NoI would recommend following the following guidelines1)elevate legs at rest2)make sure you stay thin3)exercise4)LOW SALT5)compression stockings
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Many thanks.
welcome :)