Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Medical Doctor
Experience:  Cardiology Expert
55099014

I am trying to help a family member understand their heart

Hello - I am trying to help a family member understand their heart condition - its been described to her as mitral valve prolapse, hemodynamically significant, regurgitation grade 2. Ventricular and Supraventricular extrasystoles. Arythmogenic Cardiomyopathy. An enlarged aortic root and LV dilation and hypertrophy. My understanding is this is several conditions - could you confirm? The family member has been told that she can have one relatively simple operation to help with the arrhythmia but no other mention of surgery. (She is currently taking medicine for her condition. Is is wise not to operate to solve the other conditions or is that typical?
Category: Cardiology
Expert:  Dr. Phil, MD replied 1 year ago.

Yes, this is several conditions

not all one condition

what is the plan by her cardiologist right now?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
As far as I am aware only a single op to sort out mitral valve prolapse. Would you recommend surgical intervention for all of these conditions or is it case by case? Also, can someone with these conditions still live a normal lifespan?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Also is it unusual to have all of these at once?

It is definitely case by case

there is a lot of stuff going on here and not all of it is usually seen together.

this is a very complex case

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok thank you.Would you expect someone with these conditions to have a normal lifespan?

Honestly no I would not.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I appreciate your candour.Thank you doctor.