Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Medical Doctor
Experience:  Cardiology Expert
55099014

I am a male, 60 years old, 66kg, 1.78m, very fit (run, swim,

I am a male, 60 years old, 66kg, 1.78m, very fit (run, swim, gym) resting heart rate 50-60bpm. Non-smoker, non-drinker, have kept fit and strong for forty years and am very aware of my body and its function. I am on no regular medication bar a 75mg asprin taken daily (for some years).
Six months back my heart started 'missing' a beat (I guess arrythmia) on occasion - not necessarily exercise related, in fact most often in repose - which became more frequent as time went by. I imagine it reached the stage where its frequency could be as often as once a minute although sometimes not at all for many minutes. This was painless but evoked a fluttery feeling as my heart (in my own words) 'caught up' its missed beat. I felt no other ill effects and I was carrying on my life as usual, debating with myself as to whether I should have this checked by a health professional.
Last week I was sitting at a table reading a newspaper and, although this sounds fanciful, my heart actually stopped completely for maybe 5 or 6 seconds. I was acutely aware of it as my hands happened to be resting against my chest against the table and I thought it would just be an episode as mentioned above.
My body's reaction (this was all in a matter of a split second) was to take a (or some) deep breaths which I did but nonetheless I began to hear a loud ringing in my ears and my vision began to close down and I felt I was definitely blacking out. This was completely painless and I have never felt anything like it.
Before I fell forward, my heart started up again and, frankly, after a moment or two I felt as if nothing had happened.
It is difficult to be accurate regarding the duration of this episode by my initial thought of 5 to 6 seconds from start to finish was as close as I can get. it is amazing how much 'life' can be crammed into such a short space of time.
This was, obviously, somewhat alarming; however, what has surprised me - now four days after the event - is that the arrythmia which has been present for six months or so appears to have disappeared. I became quite used to it lurking in the background and am acutely aware of its absence - a good thing! I have sat for long stretches waiting for a missed beat but my ticker is a regular as a clock.
Of course my initial reaction is that I imagined this - but I certainly did not. I would be delighted to hear an opinion.
Nicholas
Category: Cardiology
Expert:  Dr. Phil, MD replied 12 months ago.

Do you have any other medical issues?

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
nope

You seem fit and that is great.

However, this doesn't mean the internal pacemaker of your heart is working correctly

I doubt you have heart disease or blockages but you may have an arrhythmia

I recommend a 48 hour holter monitor to check

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
OK thank you sir, I appreciate your time.

welcome :)

please don't forget a positive rating. I appreciate it