Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Medical Doctor
Experience:  Cardiology Expert
55099014

I sometimes wake up at night struggling to breathe and

I sometimes wake up at night struggling to breathe and during the day feel short of breath particularly on exertion, I also feel like I can't take a deep breath, does this mean I have heart failure?
Category: Cardiology
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm 28yrs old weight 10st so not particularly overweight i am asthmatic but when I feel short of breath it doesn't feel like it's my asthma.
Expert:  Dr. Phil, MD replied 1 year ago.

Hello. I'm Dr. Phil, licensed and practicing internist. Excellent service is my goal.

It could be heart failure but would be very unusual at your age.

have you had any tests?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have had a chest X-ray and blood tests just to check my full blood count and renal function which seemed to be fine apart from the fact my eosinophils were slightly raised and I have poikilocytosis whatever that means, go didn't seem interested in it too much to be honest, I feel exhausted a lot, I'm iust worried something is being missed

I don't think so.

The XRAY and blood tests should capture heart failure

Make sure you had a BNP blood test.

If this is normal, you don't have heart failure.

It could be anxiety

let me know if you have other questions.

if done for now, please leave a positive rating above the chat box so I can get credit for helping you today

we only get credit for helping clients after positive feedback

you can always reach me with "a question for Dr. Phil" in the medicine, cardiology or pharmacy categories if you have any other questions

here is my website if you need to reach me again:

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-irondoc/

Thanks for using justanswer.com

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't think it's anxiety, when I take a deep breath it kind of feels like I'm being suffocated and I can't take a breath fully and when I wake up during the night and morning I always cough up phlegm

Then the asthma is probably not treated fully

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I use a salbutamol inhaler regularly and I only ever had a problem with my breathing if I had a cold, and now it just seems to be every day, and I wake up every night gasping, guess I need to go back to the gp

Definitely

You probably need a combined inhaler like advair

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you x

welcome :)