Dr .Saeed ahmed
Dr .Saeed ahmed, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS/FCPS(R)/MRCP U.K(R), Senior Registrar Cardiology
16248889

Dear Cardiac Specialist Does having a leaking mitral valve

Dear Cardiac SpecialistDoes having a leaking mitral valve constitute a risk factor in the development of endocarditis.Thanks you
John.
Category: Cardiology
Expert:  Dr .Saeed ahmed replied 10 months ago.

Thank you for your question, yes leaking mitral valve carries formidable risk for endocarditis. So endocarditis prophylaxis is needed in such cases.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
The American society of cardiology does not consider a leaking mitral valve a risk factor in the development of endocarditis.My operating surgeon is a Harvard professor.Please tell me where you are getting your information from.I have had leaking mitral valve for years as a commercial pilot which was totally a symptomatic Last year I developed endicarfitis MRSA sepsis and had a mechanical valve fitted .
My insurance company just denied my medical benefit claim as they say my mitral leaky valve was a pre existing condition .My surgeon says this is medical nonsense and I a sueing the insurance company .Many thanksJohn

Thank you for your reply, ..In the new guidelines, the Committee noted that mitral valve prolapse (MVP) is the most common underlying condition that predisposes to the acquisition of IE in the western world...

These above wordings are from following reference.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2912107/

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I've just read the article ......it actually recommends against prophylactic antibiotics as a revision to past recommendation AND. This report is ten years old
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
The report you refer to in the same sentence that in the western works whatever that means it's incidence is extremely low ... Somwhat contradictory I think

Thank you for your reply, Mitral valve leak is still the major cause of infective endocarditis.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
The report says that mvp is a major cause of IE in the western world but then goes on to say incidences of endocarditis with mvp are extremely rareContradictory information
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
contd) I am dealing with prifessor level consultation and received very average responses from dr Ahmed .He appeared to make no attempt to enquire further after his response

Thank you for your reply, sorry i was out of city for few days.. i can understand your confusion. MVP is the major cause still the incidence of IE with MVP is low..

This means that if there are 100 cases of IE or infective endocarditis majority are secondary to MVP. e.g 30 cases out of 100 are due to MVP but you can see around 7% of population in many countries have some degree of MVP so this makes it million of cases of MVP. Incidence means cases occurring in a population. So it means that MVP is most common cause but still incidence is low. I hope this helps.