Dr .Saeed ahmed
Dr .Saeed ahmed, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS/FCPS(R)/MRCP U.K(R), Senior Registrar Cardiology
16248889

I am on 20mg omeprazole twice daily for hiatus hernia and

Customer Question

I am on 20mg omeprazole twice daily for hiatus hernia and heartburn for a couple of years tonight I have really severe heartburn I took my usual bedtime capsule about 11 pm the heartburn woke me up about 2 am took another 20mg and it woke me again at 4 am I have taken another 20mg the heartburn has settled slightly but not gone away what else can I do
Category: Cardiology
Expert:  Dr .Saeed ahmed replied 12 months ago.

Thank you for your question, first thing is that you have to make sure these symptoms are not caused by something else like a heart problem. I would advise you to have an ECG and troponin levels if these are ok then we can treat your symptoms as stomach or gut alter. Only omeprazole is not sufficient to control the symptoms, in most cases these users are due to H.pylori bacteria and they need triple therapy for 2-3 weeks which includes antibiotics along with acid suppressant to control the symptoms. My advise is that you discuss this triple therapy with your doctor as it can cure this problem with accuracy of more than 80%. Thank you.