tazechip
tazechip, MD
Experience:  Yeard of experience in Critical Care Medicine
18722459

A couple of weeks ago my blood pressure was a bit high

A couple of weeks ago my blood pressure was a bit high 150/90 so I took and extra dose of my bp medication (lercanidipine). I done this for about 3 days. On the 3rd day when I done this I also had a glass of red wine and within minutes my blood pressure went up to 210/115 and heart rate went over 100. I have since been put on a beta blocker as well and was wondering would it be safe to have red wine again? Beer or spirts do not have any effect on my blood pressure at all. I currently would drink 3/4 times a week. 3/4 a bottle of red wine.
Category: Cardiology
Expert:  tazechip replied 2 months ago.

Hello I'm Dr Chip

What's your blood pressure running on those two meds now?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I have 3 meds, prindipol lercanidipine and the beta blocker. About 120/ 75
Expert:  tazechip replied 2 months ago.

OK

I think at this point it would be fine for you to have a glass of red wine three times a week

That said, I suggest you limit it to one glass each time and not 3/4 of a bottle

Please let me know if you need any more information

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Ok, I just find it strange that only wine has this effect. Would there be a reason for this as I said no other alcoholic drink does this.
Expert:  tazechip replied 2 months ago.

It really is the the tannins and flavinoids--the things other than alcohol in red wine--that's causing your problem

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Ok, thanks.
Expert:  tazechip replied 2 months ago.

My pleasure

Please click on the 5 star excellent rating icon so I can get credit for my time with you