Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Medical Doctor
Experience:  Cardiology Expert
55099014

I am a 33 year old with no past history. Several months ago

I am a 33 year old with no past history. Several months ago I saw my cardiologist for a full check up bloodwork, EKG and echo all the results were normal. I have had periods of extrasystoles or PVCs in the past and my cardiologist said these are benign. I noticed I have periods where if am tired or I have a bad cold or stressed I get them or if I have some alcohol in the evening.
My cardio said there is no need to take anything for them.
Sometimes I get them in runs so maybe I might have 3 in a row or at least it feels that way. I wanted to ask if it is possible to get several in a row and what this means.

Hello. I'm Dr. Phil, licensed and practicing internist. Excellent service is my goal.

Hi do you still need help?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
did you read my post above?
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Just to add I have no symptoms or anything and have had checks I just wanted some thoughts on this.

Thanks for this question

Yes this is possible

It is called a run of PVCs

It is totally benign

you can take medicine to suppress it but I wouldn't recommend it

is this helpful?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
i go running once a week and try to stay in shape. If I have the odd one they don’t bother me but when I have a run of these it does cause me anxiety even though I have had all these checks. I had all the tests done in February this year and everything was normal how long are these results valid I know echoes are usually valid for 5 years. As I said I have no symptoms or anything just a feeling of these runs sometimes and I go through periods where I get them and other times where I don’t. In what case would these not be benign.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
They do sometimes cause me anxiety even though I have been checked many times.

Yes, they can trigger anxiety in many people for sure

I'm sorry you are going through that

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Okay could you advise on my other question regarding results and how long they would be valid. As I mentioned I had all my checks in Feb and all was normal. I have had the PVCs for many years and there are periods where I don’t have any and periods where they seem to occur more frequently. Are the runs benign can they cause any issues in the future when I get older?

They would be valid for at least 3-4 years

let me know if you have other questions.

if done for now, please leave a 5 star rating above the chat box so I can get credit for helping you today

we only get credit for helping clients after positive feedback

you can always reach me with "a question for Dr. Phil" in the medicine, cardiology or pharmacy categories if you have any other questions

here is my website if you need to reach me again:

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-irondoc/

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
How does one know if the runs are benign? As mentioned can they cause issues in the future?
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Are you still available to assist with my last question?

the only way to be 100% is to catch them on a holter but the vast majority are nothing to worry about

No, they don't cause issues in the future

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
but as mentioned I have had all the tests and was told everything is fine. So do I need to just focus on the things that tend to trigger them ie stress lack of sleep etc?

Yes, absolutely

stress

caffeine

alcohol

etc

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I did have one more question. I noticed that I sometimes get more ectopic beats when I go for a run, exercise. At the start of the run I feel a few but as I go on and get warmed up they stop. Can this happen?

Yes, this is pretty classic for PVCs or atrial ectopics.

I have this as well believe it or not

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Apologies I have been away from my computer thank you for your responses. I had one more questions. I noticed I can have no ectopics all day and when I lie down at night I get a few.
Also in general how does one tell ectopics are harmless or harmful?

Would you mind accepting additional services? I discounted it for you.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Are you able to assist?

yes, I'm here. Thanks

totally normal to get more at night when your body increases vagal tone when you lay down

in general, a holter will tell the harmful from not harmful

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I have had a holter done and it was normal. Also I have had 5 echoes in 5 years and they were all normal. I read that if the structure of the heart is normal then ectopics are harmless. Can echo results change in 10 months? I have anxiety about these ectopics.

no it cannot change in that time

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Okay what is your advice?
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
To help cope with the anxiety of the ectopics?

I would go on a beta blocker

it will help with anxiety and ectopics

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I think you suggested earlier in our chat to that you would advise against taking medication.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Also I don’t get them everyday. There are times where I barley have any and some days where I get a few. You advised against taking meds. I have read it’s not good to take meds unless you have 700 or more day.

If they are really bothering you then you may need meds

you don't seem to be able to live with them comfortably

even though that is fine to do

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
No they are not bothering me physically. It’s more pshychological where I try to say to myself I have had a work up 10’months ago so I know am fine yet I get anxious about them. In the last few days they have reduced a lot. I have periods where I get them and periods where I don’t.

You have to overcome the anxiety

you might need counseling