Dr. Sohaib
Dr. Sohaib, Doctor
Experience:  Experienced in dealing cardiac emergencies, diseases, and can give appropriate advice regarding treatment and prevention.
28277873

My 19 year old son had an ECG done on Thursday which came

My 19 year old son had an ECG done on Thursday which came back as abnormal. The surgery emailed for cardiology advice but have not had a reply yet. I have a copy of the ECG and would like to get a clinical review asap. The reason for the urgency is that he is hoping to leave on 14th January for rural Sierra Leone and Volunteering Services Overseas are looking for a report on the ECG. I have tried two local private hospitals in the past few minutes for an appointment to have the ECG reviewed but there is nothing available and wonder is there anything you can do if I email through the doctors report and the ECG. Or can you refer me to anyone in my area which is HA2? Thank you

Hello and thank you for the question.
I am Dr. Sohaib, a practicing Internal Medicine Consultant with over 13 years of experience and I will do my best to help you today.
Let me review your question for a minute and I will get back to you.

Can you send me the EKG here. Just attach the document and send me here.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Ok. Just trying to work out how to do it. Can I email it to you?

No you can not. You can see a CLIP sign above in the writing box; just use that.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I think I've managed to send it. Please confirm receipt.

No still not.

We can not share personal emails as per site policy; therefore you have to attach and send the EKG report here.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Attaching again.

I have reviewed the EKG

The doctor's notes on the EKG suggest a cardiologist review, as there are some changes in the EKG which include;

ST elevation in lead 1 and aVL

T wave inversion in lead 3

And biphasic T wave in lead V1.

Though these changes in my opinion are not suggestive of something acute; and appear not significant as they are not in contagious leads, but they need further assessment by a cardiologist if he has chest pain, shortness of breath or other related symptoms

But I am almost 99% sure that this is a normal variant.

If there are no cardiac symptoms, there is no urgency or acute issue to be reviewed by cardiologist in office urgently.

But these findings on EKG may become relevant if they are coupled with clinical symptoms.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thank you. He feels fine and was referred for an ECG following an ADHD annual review where he mentioned that he sometimes gets palpitations after taking his medication, Ritalin. Can you issue a letter which I can forward to Volunteering Services Overseas who are doing the medical assessment in order to clear him for travelling to rural Sierra Leone on the 14th of January 2018 for three months?

We can not issue any letter or prescription. This is a question/answer platform and with out seeing a patient physically, its illegal to issue any medical prescription or evaluation.

I hope you understand that. For this purpose you have to go back to your GP.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Ok I understand. Thank you very much for your advice.

Good luck and my sincere wishes for your good health.

Please do not forget to Click and Give 5 Star Rating (at the top of screen) to my service as this is the only way I get credit for my time and expertise on your question.
If you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.
Kindest Regards.

Thanks for visiting JA