Cher
Cher, Teacher
Experience:  Masters Level Educator,Tutor 35+ yrs.; Author, Senior Internet Researcher, Trivia Master
1470369

Hello, I am twenty-five and kind of at a loss of what to

Customer Question

I am twenty-five and kind of at a loss of what to do with my life. I'm tackling with the idea of what to do with my life. I have had many ideas, but they come and go as quickly as the minutes pass on a clock face. I sometimes come up with ideas that I would never have even dreamed of doing, or had absolutely no interest in before. For example, one week I even toyed with the idea of studying Engineering, despite never even contemplating the idea when I was younger, and an extreme lack of interest in how things work, or the mentality to strip things down and work it out. This idea passed quickly enough, but it was straight onto another imagination in my head.

I have always been interested in Asia, but I can't exactly build a career based on "I loves Asia very much...". So another random thought I had was to consider teaching English. But in my head, I am thinking that as much as I have a passing interest in the English Language, and enjoy reading snippets about Semantics, Lingustics and Grammar on Wikipedia, there has never been any inspiration to teach before. Therefore I need suggestives and some form of direction. I have tackled with the problems for more than seven years, and at the end of each bonfire celebration at 12am January 1st... I still have no answers about what I should do.

So I would have loved to have lived in Hong Kong. The only feasible way to achieve this would be to teach the English Language. Since I do not have any Cantonese skills, and lack any desirable skillset that would allow me to procure any form of occupation outside of education in the city, then this would seem like the only way to attempt it.

Now I am left with a dilemma. I don't think I have ever had a passion to teach. It never entered my head growing up or even when I was in high school. I am reasonably competent at writing, but I do not exactly have the gift of explaination. I will either overcomplicate things, or I will not be able to describe an element well enough verbally.

I am also an extremely shy, introverted character. I have a lot of empathy for people I am close to, and like to care and protect, as well as look out for them. But I am very timid in nature, suffer from a degree of social anxiety and phobia. I am a very unconfident public speaker, and rather slow in picking up new concepts, with a very low threshold in the amount of workload I can manage. My personality comes out as INFP (not sure about the N, possibly ISFP), so I am not sure if I would even make a good teacher.

I like helping people, but I worry if I lack the ability to teach proficiently and naturally. There is also the moral implications about going into the profession purely because I wanted to live in that particular place. This comes from the fact that when I ask myself if I would do the same job, teaching people english, in the UK...my answer would be no.

I feel so confused and conflicted. I don't know what to do.
Category: Job
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 3 years ago.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Please continue, if you will.

Thank you for getting back to me. We will continue to look for a Professional to assist you.

Expert:  Cher replied 3 years ago.
Hello, and thanks for your patience. I'm sorry you didn't receive an earlier answer.

My name is Cher and it will be my pleasure to help you.

I understand where you're coming from, and you're at an age where it's necessary for you to decide which direction you would like your life to take and then produce a plan that will help you achieve your goals.

Teaching English as a Second Language (ESL) is something that I did in the past. The thing about this, is that you don't need to know the languge of the person/people you're teaching and the more English you use, the more proficient your student will be, because they can't 'revert' back to their native tongue. Is it frustrating on both parts? Definitely, but, the student will soon pick up the new language being taught (English) and little by little, become more proficient.

You don't have to have an extroverted personality to be a teacher, but there is a way to learn best how to impart your knowlege to others. You might consider taking some courses in your local area in general teaching, and then find out what positions may be available where you live now, and/or in Hong Kong, if you would like to live there. You'd also have to find out the requirements for teaching ESL in your area, or abroad. In some positions, you'd have to be a certified teacher and hold a degree, etc., and in other positions, that is not required. It all depends on the circumstances. There are many people from foreign countries living in the UK who either know very little English or would like to improve their English, so it might not be too difficult to find some prospective clients to start tutoring in English.

The definition of 'fluency' in a language is being able to understand a native speaker; the student doesn't necessarily need to speak perfectly to be considered 'fluent', but as with all things, this comes with time and practice.

If you research the subject, you might find this rewarding, and decide to take your life in this direction. I hope these webpages will be helpful:
http://writingcenter.unc.edu/faculty-resources/tips-on-teaching-esl-students/

http://hkuspace.hku.hk/prog/teaching-and-learning-eng-as-a-second-lang-in-hk

While everyone would like to do a job they 'love', that's not always possible, unfortunately, but if you think about what you're good at and what you enjoy, if you end up not teaching ESL, at least you'll have a direction to pursue.

If you would like to live in Hong Kong, think about your skill set, which subjects you got good grades in, in school, and what you enjoy doing. Look at the classifieds ('job adverts') in English Hong Kong newspapers and see if something catches your eye. You might be able to learn a new skill or use something you already know, to get a good job there, as this seems to be your goal.

I hope this helped and wish you much good luck!

Please take a moment to provide a positive rating so I may be credited for my time and expertise. Thank you!

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

If you would like to continue our conversation, simply click 'Reply' for any additional questions or clarification.

Warmest regards,
Cher

A Professional has left an answer to your question. Please remember to rate the answer given once you are satisfied.

Expert:  Cher replied 3 years ago.
Hello again,

I see that you have already read my answer and was wondering if you had any additional questions or concerns; if so, please click 'Reply' and I will be glad to continue our conversation.

If you found my answer helpful, please let me know; I'd appreciate it. Thanks!

Warmest regards,
Cher