49erLBSU
49erLBSU, Employment Services Professional
Experience:  Professional for over 20+ years
70951075

My partner is aged 62. For the past 7 years, he worked as a

My partner is aged 62. For the past 7 years, he worked as a night security guard at a university. He has had to leave that job as he felt his health was deteriorating due to the shift pattern. Prior to this, he ran a business with his now ex-wife (and got the security job when they got divorced as she took the business) and before that, worked for 20 years in advertising and marketing, winning a number of awards for his work. He does not believe he can go back to advertising/marketing as it is a profession where younger people are wanted. He does not have a university degree. All of his life, he has been a writer (novels, poetry) and has recently sent submissions to literary agents but anything from this may take some time to come to fruition. He is incredibly intelligent and very well-spoken (I appreciate I'm biased). Any suggestions?

Category: Job
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 3 years ago.

I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.

We have been working with the Experts to try to help you with your question. Sometimes it may take a bit of time to find the right fit.

I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Experts.

Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I'll continue waiting.

Thank you for getting back to me. We will continue to look for a Professional to assist you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 2 years ago.

I apologize as we have not yet been able to find a Professional to assist you. Do
you wish for me to continue to search for someone to assist you or would you
like for us to close your question at this time?

Expert:  49erLBSU replied 2 years ago.
You should be biased as it sounds like you have a wonderful partner who is talented in various career positions over his life.

Finding a career in your later years can become an issue as employers are often looking for younger people to do the work required. By no means though should both of you feel that all this experience can not be used to your full potential.

I would first recommend looking at consulting work as an independent contractor. The experience of advertising as well as marketing can be put to use as a consultant to firms as well as people that can use the assistance with their companies. Consulting can give you a lot of flexibility and because of your years of experience, a good salary. Setting up online can give your partner a head start.

Suggestions I can also offer:

1. Start your own business as entrepreneurism makes great sense as a career move for retirees. Holding seminars on advertising/marketing as well as writing for example. This can be done online to reach a larger audience that in person.

2. Since you partner has experience in advertising/marketing, selling a particular product you like can benefit in terms of making some money as well as meeting new people and being active in the community.

3. Interest in writing can lead to many ideas for work. Writing for a blog or creating your own to working for the local newspaper in your area.

Search for local services for seniors to see what they may recommend in terms of what your partner already knows to be put to use right away.
Experience: Professional for over 20+ years