Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats and am happy to discuss any questions you have.
60269376

Cat is lying on her front with back end in the air tail to

Customer Question

Cat is lying on her front with back end in the air tail to one side getting very vocal could she be having kittens was told she had been spayed!!!
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 3 years ago.

The signs you have described are not those we typically see with a cat in labor. Rather if she is assuming a position with the back end up (example), tail to the side and vocalizing, I'd be very suspicions that you are seeing her showing signs of being in season or heat.

Now this does put the claim that she was spayed in question (it can be difficult to tell if females are spayed if they are from an unknown background since there are no external signs like there are in males). And if you did not have her spayed yourself, then I would question if she has been at all. Otherwise, it is possible to see these signs if the spay procedure has accidently left a bit of ovarian tissue within the body (an uncommon but possible complication).

In this situation, I'd strongly advise you keep her indoors and away from any entire male cats (otherwise you will have the risk of kittens) while she is in this state. If she is having a proper heat, you will see her continue to demonstrate this behaviour for several days, stop, and potentially recur a fortnight later (and repeat). And while it is not an urgent situation that needs to be addressed this weekend (except to keep her away from males), you might consider contacting the source you adopted her from to discuss this situation and consider getting her seen by her vet (who can spay her or remove any remnant ovary to stop the behaviour for Gismo)

I hope this information is helpful.

Please do let me know if you have any further questions.

If you have no further questions, feedback is greatly appreciated.

All the best,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please remember to rate my answer, so that I may receive credit for assisting you today. IF you have any lingering questions or concerns, please stop and reply to me via the REPLY or CONTINUE CONVERSATION button with the issue you have. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek. If you are satisfied with my help (not necessarily the disease you pet has or the website), please click the 4-5 stars or associated happy face so
that I may receive credit for my assistance.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

thank you just one more question she seems to be leaking fluid from her rear end it is clear. Just worried if it would be an intestinal problem.

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 3 years ago.

You are very welcome.

I wouldn't expect the other behavior signs if she did have a GI upset or disease. Rather I would be more suspicious that you may be seeing the clear discharge from the vagina that often accompanies a female cat being in heat.

That said, if this discharge is actually from the rectum and not the vagina, then its being clear means its unlikely to be anything sinister (as pus, blood, or dark fluids would be) and I wouldn't be too worried about it.

Dr. B.