Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience treating cats in my practice.
16881297

My cat is losing clumps of fur, on underneath parts - back

Customer Question

My cat is losing clumps of fur, on underneath parts - back head etc fine.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 4 years ago.

Good Morning and welcome to Justanswer. I am Dr. Loretta , a licensed veterinarian and am happy to answer your question.

I have a few questions to help me better assist you.

Is tammy itching at these areas?

Does ths skin appear normal underneath?

Sincerely, XXXXX XXXXX

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

She doesn't appear to be itching. The skin looks normal, no sign of redness or scabs She is quite perky but her appetite (always fussy), not very good

Thank you Sheila for that information.

There are a couple issues that would cause this hair loss:

Allergic

Parasites

Infection

Hormonal

Stress Induced Obsessive/Compulsive

For the allergic, this will respond to Benadryl at 1 mg per pound every 12 hrs. This is the infant liquid form at the pharmacy given with a dropper. If there is no response to this, have your vet examine Tammy to determine if there are parasites and/or infections that would require prescription medications. If Tammy is spayed, this could be due to the lack of hormones and your vet has treatments for this.

The last, stress induced OCD, may respond to Feliway. This is a feline pheromone that acts as a calming agent and will decrease anxiety.This can be purchased at the pet store.If this is not enough, your vet will have medications to help decrease anxiety and stop this skin condition.

In some older cats, they can have over active Sebaceous Glands that are oil glands within the hair follicles and when they over produce thsi oil, the fur will fall out. There is no treatment for this except weekly baths and brushing to remove the oils.

the best thing to do at home Sheila, is to purchase a daily supplement of Derm Caps or some form of Omega 3 fatty acids at the pet store. Apply an anti bacterial ointment to teh hair less areas every 12 hrs and see if she responds. If she does not, then diagnostics will have to be done to determine the cause and treatment.

Does that make sense to you. Sheila?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.

Sincerely, XXXXX XXXXX

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX some ways putting my mind at rest, though I intend a visit to the vet - she hates cars!! I am stressed re knee replacement coming up, though she is not a 'people cat', when I am upstairs, she is down and vice versa, but I suppose she can sense my stress, have had her 91/2 years. She is not in pain, I can rub her fur either way, and she doesn't flinch, plus I gave her a good brush yesterday, which she loves, not a hair came out, though she has never liked 'under part' brushing, (neither would I!!)

This does not appear serious to me, Sheila so an exam by your vet is not essential unless other signs show up such as anorexia or infectious processes on the skin.

Try using the anti bacterial ointment on the skin anfd brush her daily if she will let you.

Good Luck, Sheila.

Thank you so much, Sheila for your kind rating. It is very much appreciated! Do not hesitate to contact me with any other concerns that you may have about Tammy's condition.

Have a great day!!