Dr. Drew
Dr. Drew, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Small Animal Medicine and Surgery
6340741

My nearly feral cat has been very off and on his food for several

Customer Question

My nearly feral cat has been very off and on his food for several weeks. I have given him 2 courses of antibiotics. I thought the problem was solved, the problem being that when he starts eating, he stops, makes a sort of cry and bolts away from me, the food and runs. It stopped and now it continues. He eats a little bit of food. It all seems fine. Then suddenly he sort of screams and runs away. I have tried soft food and mashing up his food.He seems hungry and wants to eat. He eats a bit and then suddenly is gripped by some sharp painful experience inside his mouth or throat and then he's gone. Any ideas what to do ?
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Drew replied 4 years ago.

Drew :

Hello, welcome to JustAnswer! I am a licensed veterinarian, and I'll be happy to help you in any way I can.

Drew :

I'm sorry to hear that you've been trying to resolve this issue that Harry is having.

Drew :

The signs you are describing, are consistent with a possible ulcer or other damage to the lining of the esophagus and/or the stomach.

Drew :

it can be very difficult to diagnose such an issue without the use of Endoscopy, which is a procedure where a tiny camera is inserted down the throat under anesthesia.

Drew :

Without such testing, the usual approach in cases of suspected ulceration, is to consider the following medicines:

Drew :

Acid blockers such as famotidine, ranitidine, omeprazole, lansoprazole or others,

Drew :

coating medicines such as Sucralfate,

Drew :

and though it's not commonly reported in cats, treatment for Helicobacter Pylori, a bacteria that is associated with ulcers in humans and dogs, might be worthwhile as well.

Drew :

at Harry's age, we also need to consider that there may be a mass or tumor in the esophagus or stomach,

Drew :

leading to pain as the food or stomach acids contact the tumor.

Drew :

unfortunately, cancer is common in elderly cats.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Are the drugs you mention called the same in France because this is where I live. ?

Also, he will not be put into any kind of carrier without going completely crazy. He is really feral. I am the only one who can get near him. I can cuddle him on my lap, pick him up but just the front paws. He goes crazy if you try to carry him. It's a very difficult situation as I'm sure you understand.

Expert:  Dr. Drew replied 4 years ago.
The drugs I mentioned are all the generic names, not brand names, and therefore should be available anywhere.

I know how difficult cats can be; if you are unable to get him to a veterinarian, then sadly the diagnostic options are very limited, and you will be unable to obtain prescription medicines.

Famotidine is an acid blocker that is sold without a prescription in many countries, 5mg every 12-24 hours can be safely given.