gpvet
gpvet, Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a general practice vet dealing with all types of companion animals and small exotics for the last 13 years
73965271

I have 16 year old cat, who has a provisional diagnosis of

Customer Question

I have 16 year old cat, who has a provisional diagnosis of dementia. I have bought a diffuser which seemed to help a little. But the big problem is he urinating everywhere, not spraying fully emptying his bladder on just about everything. He is not in pain. When I discover the spot he knows he is trouble, and is perfectly capable of getting out of the cat flap. I bought a litter tray, but his aim was appalling resulting a similar problem, different place. We used to have a few cats that would come in through the cat flap, but we don't have any cat coming in a t present, so I don't think he feels threat. His appetite is fine. I am finding it more and more frustrating and now actively look for the spot the moment I get into the house. I don't want to have him put down, but it is driving me mad!!
Category: Cat
Expert:  gpvet replied 3 years ago.
Hi there

I am sorry to hear about this problem - I know how hard it can be to deal with.

First off - have you had his urine or blood tested to ensure there are no other issues going on? Cystitis is a common cause of inappropriate urination. This can be a primary problem in the bladder, or secondary to other conditions common in the older cat, such as kidney disease. Also, arthritis can cause pain in squatting, and again can cause cats to urinate in places that are inappropriate, especially if they find it difficult to get in and out of the litter tray.
Secondly, have you tried using multiple litter trays in different areas, different cat litters or different types of litter tray (eg covered versus uncovered). Some cats are very fussy about what they will use as a toilet.
Lastly, if this genuinely is a senility issue, it can be difficult to do much about, although there are some medications licensed for use in the dog that you could try that may help improve brain function. The diffuser you are using (I'm assuming Feliway?) will help with stress related conditions, rather that senility. Older cats are more sensitive to stress, just like older people tend to be. There is a supplement called Zylkene that can be used in combination or on it's own that also helps with stress, and also certain prescription cat foods that contain similar compounds. You could also try these if Mr Molly is in other ways healthy.

Please feel free to ask me any further questions if you need to.

Debbie
(Vet and owner of three stressed and urinating-in-the-house cats!)
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Sorry about delay computer at work does not have javascript and apparently you need it for this. Mr Molly has always been a stress head, all cat litter trays tried and he is not interested. he can get up and down the stairs fine, he can still jump over the fence without distress, and as for squatting he is more than capable!! he actually got up on the sofa whilst i was sitting on it ans wee'd on us both. I have an eight yr old and i really can't having him wee'ing where she plays and sits. If i can't find a solution I may have to go for the permanent solution!!! what do vets think about putting annoying, stressed wee'ers down??

Expert:  gpvet replied 3 years ago.
I have to say the weeing on you does sound like stress. I woul definitely add in the Zylkene, and see how that helps. There are several other products you can try as well, such as Kalmaid, although I have had no direct experience with this product. If he will take to a different diet, I have had good success with Royal Canin Calm food. If that doesn't work, then the next step is to then go prescription, we often try anxiolytics and SSRI's - although few are licensed in cats so care is needed.

Unfortunately we as vets do end up in the situation of putting cats down for this problem. Obviously we will work with you to try and find a solution, including attempting rehoming. However with an older cat like this, rehoming is often difficult and sometimes more stessful for the cat.

I would suggest if you try the non-prescription route and dont get any joy, that you consult with your vet. Be open about the issues - we have been there before and will understand the stress it causes. It is much easier to try and work a solution out if we know exactly where we stand.

I wish you all the best in trying to address this situation. If I can be of any more assistance then please let me know

Debbie