Dr. Andy
Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis graduate, Interests: Dermatology, Internal Medicine, Pain Management
14008320

how long can a cat go without food and water

Customer Question

Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 4 years ago.
Welcome! I would be happy to assist you. I am a 2003 graduate from UC Davis and a Medical Director of a veterinarian practice.

Don't forget, I will do everything possible to provide a timely and detailed response, but sometimes it can be difficult to fully answer all questions. You can always select "reply to expert" if you need further clarification or more information, prior to providing a rating.

I am sorry to hear about this concern for Pixie.

Not long.
Dehydration will begin to set in within 24-48 hours of not drinking.

Loss of appetite is a big red flag in cats. Why?
When a cat goes just a few days without eating properly, they break down their fat. We would all do it. But, cats place fat into the liver causing much more severe illness called hepatic lipidosis (fatty liver syndrome).

So, if not eating and drinking, its well worth a more immediate veterinary examination for supportive care.

Basic testing might include a basic blood and urine test for an overall health assessment.

Hope that information has been helpful.
Please remember to select REPLY TO EXPERT if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or need assistance. My goal is to provide the best answer possible prior to you leaving a feedback rating. Please remember a rating before leaving.
Dr. Andy
REMEMBER: Even after you submit feedback, you can still review our discussion.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

i have brought pixie home after her owner died in the care home that i work in since being at my house she has not eaten or drink she has used her dirty tray first night a wee and dirt and last night just a wee.so it is a change of enviriment as well

Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 4 years ago.
Understood Sandie.
This is a lot of a transition for a kitty.
You can sometimes stimulate thirst by adding some canned tuna juice to the water (change frequently).

Vets can prescribe medications that can help to stimulate the appetite.

I would also consider buying some Feliway spray or a plug in device. It releases cat pheromone in to the air, which you can't smell, and is great for stress/anxiety. Especially, in these circumstances.

Feliway Spray

Feliway or at least something like it should be available in the U.K.

Ensure you are offering both canned and kibble food. Some cats, if they were used to kibble, won't eat canned.

Hope that additional information helps. Definitely, reply to me BEFORE providing your feedback rating, if you have any further questions. I want to do my best to assist you.
Dr. Andy
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

the owner passed away so she has only been with me since friday morning ,which is 48 hrs

Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 4 years ago.
Understood Sandie.
With all the changes, especially including the environment, she may need several weeks to adjust.

Give her some time alone to just investigate and explore. Perhaps a scratching post, some cat treats, catnip, etc...

Ideally, no loud sounds like loud televisions or kids running around her. We want her to be as relaxed as possible.

Very kind of you to take her into your home.

Dr. Andy