Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey, Board Certified
Experience:  15 yrs in practice, specialist canine/feline medicine
20970409

RA-JM

Customer Question

We took my cat to the vet 3 weeks ago as his eye had become red at the edge and cloudy with small brown speckles on the cornea. The vet took one look and said it was most likely FeLV or FIV. However when his blood tests came back about an hour later they were both negative. The vet said he wanted to retest in 6 weeks and in the meantime prescribed eye drops, which started to clear the eye within a couple of days. It was still a little cloudy and had a few tiny speckles left on it but it was looking much better. However, it's been about 2 weeks since the drops finished and his eye has started to go red and cloudy again with speckles noticeable on the cornea. Otherwise, he appears to be ok - playful, eating and drinking, going to the toilet. He is about 2 years old and has been a house cat since we got him in October. Before this a friend of mine had taken him in after she found him living on the streets. I am wondering how common false negative FeLV and FIV tests are (the vet seems to think this is the case)? Also, I am worried it could it be something else that is being overlooked and rather than treating it, it is going worse, but the vet hasn't explored anything else. We are taking him for a 2nd opinion tomorrow.

Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 3 years ago.

Is the cloudiness within the eye or is this a corneal based haze?

Am I right to assume that he has not been exposed to any potential feline virus carriers (ie stranger cats) since you took him in back in October?

Do you know if this was a in-house test or if they sent it to the lab?

With the Maxitrol, did only the redness settle then?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi there,

It's hard to say whether the cloudiness is within the eye or corneal... I'm not really sure but I would say corneal, however his overall eye colour (green) is a lot lighter than the other now. It almost looks like there is a film over the eye.

The Maxitrol mostly cleared the red, which was on the iris, but the cloudiness also seemed to lift a little and the brown speckles appeared to go smaller and fewer. We gave him the drops for one week and overall his eye looked a lot clearer (to the point where other people couldn't notice a difference between the two eyes) but we could see that it wasn't 100% back to normal.

It was an in-house test as it took under two hours for the results to come back.

He hasn't been exposed to any other cats since we took him in. In fact, he hasn't been out of our flat since we took him in back in October and there haven't been any cats in here. He had been living with my friend (in her spare room - didn't go out) for a month before I got him and she has two cats who have been house cats for 8 years. Before that, however, I don't know how long he was stray for but he had been neutered and was also very well litter trained so I can only assume he did belong to someone else at some point.

I forgot to say that his pupil was also slightly enlarged on that eye too...