Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

I keep finding small creamy/yellow coloured oval shaped bits

Customer Question

I keep finding small creamy/yellow coloured oval shaped 'bits' wherever my cat has been sleeping. They are quite regular in shape so look as if they might be eggs - but of what? Too big to be flea eggs as they are about 2mm long. Could they be worm eggs?
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 4 years ago.
Aloha! You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin
I can only imagine that you're finding the tape worm segments of Dipylidium - the flea tapeworm. Segments of the tapeworm break off inside Lux, are passed, and dry up into rice-like "bits".

Stronghold (selamectin) is effective against fleas but it only takes ingesting one flea that has a larval tapeworm inside it to infect Lux with tapeworms. You need only dose Lux once with an over the counter product that contains praziquantel to kill the tapeworms inside her. If she ingests another infected flea, however, she can develop another adult tapeworm in as little as three weeks.

Please consider treating your premises with an over the counter premise spray that contains an IGR such as methoprene. IGRs are hormones that don't allow flea eggs and larva to develop into adult fleas and their use breaks up the flea life cycle and avoids perpetuation of flea infestation in your home. Spring is the time when we experience the first egg hatch and the best time to treat to prevent flea infestation in the following warmer months.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.