Dr. Barbara
Dr. Barbara, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 30 years experience in veterinary medicine and surgery.
56364752

my cat is dianosed with Pseudomonas infections

Customer Question

Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 3 years ago.
Hello & welcome to Just Answer/Pearl. I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Can you tell me where the Pseudomonas infection is based (since we can see this bacteria cause infections in the lungs, ears, skin, bladder, etc)?

How long has he had this issue?
How long a course of Noroclav has he been on already?

Your history suggests that his signs settle while on the antibiotics but perhaps come back when they are stopped. Is this correct?

Has he been tested for any feline viruses (ie feline aids, feline leukemia virus)?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

gizmo always snizes wen i give him Noroclav50mg he is always better what
i want is a Noroclav50mg or a simler tablet that helps him

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

hi gizmo as had this proplem for some years now he as trouble with his eyes they go brown and weepy
thats y Noroclav does him good i.v had 3 lots of 20 tablets wot the vet gave him and i aint got no more the vet is chargein £28 just to walk in the door then the charge for the Norclav it works out expentive can you help me mrs smith

Expert:  Dr. Barbara replied 3 years ago.
Hi Mrs. Smith,
From your description it does sound like Gizmo has a chronic upper respiratory infection which is usually viral initially, but often leads to a secondary bacterial infection that does respond to antibiotics. The one viral infection that lingers like this is herpes virus. Also, if Gizmo does have feline leukemia virus or feline immunodeficiency virus, then he will have a suppressed immune system and be much more prone to these infections.
250mg to 500mg of lysine given to Gizmo every day may help him ward off these herpes flare ups. This is not a cure for a current infection, but long term preventative care.
For his current infection, at home keep Gizmo's eyes and nose cleaned with a warm moist towel or tissue twce to three times daily. Also, warm up his food to bring out it's fragrance. If he can't smell his food his appetite will drop.
Did your vet actually do a culture to determine that this is a pseudomonas infection?
Have you tried calling your vet to get Gizmo's prescription refilled without your actually having to bring him in? Your vet may be fine with this. Then I'm hoping that giving him the lysine will at least greatly decrease his infections.
Hopefully this is helpful. If you have further concerns or questions, please just let me know.
Dr. Barbara
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

if i phone the vets i no they will ask me to bring him in surgrery as he,s
not been for some months is there anything i can have without precription mrs smith

The lysine is an "over the counter" product. It won't be an immediate turn around, but should be given to him every day to help strengthen him against a probable herpes virus infection.
Antibiotics require a doctor's prescription from a doctor that has examined Gizmo. Generally, here in the States, if we have a kitty patient that has these repeated upper respiratory infections and we have seen the cat in the past year, we will refill a prescription of the antibiotic without actually seeing the cat.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

i did reply to your cat message as you stated that i should phone my
vets for just a repeat percription as i replyed to you if i phone my vets
they will want to se e gizmo and that will mean paying nearly £30 pound
thats without the pills i did ask you yesterday was there anyother pills
that gizmo can take simuler to the Noclav that i can get without
precription would you let me no mrs smith thank you

Hi Mrs. Smith,
Unfortunately antibiotics require a prescription. Do you have any antibiotics at your home already?
Were you able to find the lysine?
Dr. Barbara
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

so is there a alternertive tablet i could get for gizmo

Mrs. Smith,
There is no antibiotic that can be given without a prescription. The lysine tablets or powder will probably help him, and of course your nursing care of his eyes and nose.
Just one thought. I know in Mexico you can buy antibiotics over the counter. I don't know if in Europe there are any countries that sell antibiotics over the counter in drug stores, but if you were in such a country and needed some guidance for dosing, I'd be happy to help in that way.
Please let me know if I can be of further assistance,
Dr. Barbara