Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience treating cats in my practice.
16881297

My 3 yr old female cat was given a steroid injection 10 days

Customer Question

My 3 yr old female cat was given a steroid injection 10 days ago for a flea allergy, since then she is just lethargic, sleeping, no interest in anything, her appetite is fine but it is upsetting me seeing her like this, she was fine before this injection....I contacted the vet & she said that the reaction should not last more than 72 hours at most and to make an appointment to see her, obviously with the bank holiday I have to wait until next Tuesday, Any advice you can give me please?
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 4 years ago.

Good Morning and welcome to Just answer. I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

I am so sorry that Millie is not feeling well. This reaction is rare but not unusual that this amount of steroid that was given can cause these symptoms of lethargy. AS long as she is eating, Millie will be fine and this will wear off. You can hasten this process by giving Millie Pedialyte, 1-2 ounces every 4-6 hrs. This will help flush this amiunt of steroid from her system and help her get back to normal. Most cats do well with this injection but there are a few that will react this way. It is not life threatening but scary when you do not know why this is happening.

Take Millie in for an exam Tuesday to be sure that this is noted on Millie's record so this is not given again.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please Reply so I can clarify for you

Sincerely, Dr. Loretta

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thank you so much for your quick reply, I feel a little happier that you have said Millie should be fine, can I get Pedialyte in any pet store in UK ? Thanks again

Yes, Diane...this is often used for human infants so it should be readily avialable.

Good Luck, Diane...I am sure Millie will be back to her old self very soon!!