Dr. Andy
Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis graduate, Interests: Dermatology, Internal Medicine, Pain Management
14008320

My cat is a few months old, he has had all his jabs and is

Customer Question

My cat is a few months old, he has had all his jabs and is still on kitten food. He has very regular bowel movements and doesn't appear to be any stress when pooing, however he has dots of blood covering some of his excrement so I think he is bleeding from his rectum. What course of action should I take?
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 4 years ago.
Welcome! I would be happy to assist you. I am a 2003 graduate from UC Davis and a Medical Director of a veterinarian practice.

Don't forget, I will do everything possible to provide a timely and detailed response, but sometimes it can be difficult to fully answer all questions. You can always select "reply to expert" if you need further clarification or more information, prior to providing a rating.

I am sorry to hear about this concern for Tokyo.

A few points.
1. At this age, it is very important that a few things be addressed.

a. He should have received a few dewormers, at about 3 week intervals by now. if he has only been dewormed once or twice, absolutely must be repeated....even if you are seeing no worms at all!

b. A fecal test is a must!

Bring in a fresh poop sample to the veterinarian. Ideally, within a few hours. Request that it be sent “OUT” to the laboratory instead of being looked at in the hospital (more accurate that way). We are not interested in only worm eggs, but also checking for the very common microscopic bugs like giardia and coccidia. These types of parasites will not be cured with over-the-counter dewormers. Giardia can also be difficult to identify on routine fecal tests, so ask your vet if they always add a “giardia elisa” to the fecal test.

When any blood is seen in the stool it can suggest colitis. Colitis, is when the large intestine is inflamed. The blood is called hematochezia.
Hematochezia in Cats

Great that he is not straining, but this is worth follow up with your vet.
sometimes, it can be related to a intolerance to something in the food, but I would want to ensure no parasite issues first.

Don't worry about trying any supplements or food changes just yet. Could make things worse.

Hope that information has been helpful.
Please remember to select REPLY TO EXPERT if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer. My goal is to provide the best answer possible prior to you leaving a feedback rating.
Dr. Andy

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I bought him on the 6th of May, he was looked after incredibly well and we did buy a kitten from a different litter from the same place. He has had all the necessary de worming. But you're basically saying I need to go to a vet... Which I worked out in the first place?

Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 4 years ago.
Hi Jessica,
You asked about what course of action to take.
The easy answer, especially if you are seeing persistent hematochezia in the stool will have to be to see a vet.

If you were looking for an alternative answer on how to avoid a vet visit, the answer would be to do nothing. Yes, nothing. Weird. Why?
Well, you stated the poops are still normal. So, we really don't want to pursue any diet change or attempt to add fiber to the diet. Even starting a probiotic supplement wouldn't necessarily gain us anything.

But, my goal when answering was at least to explain what is hematochezia, as well as, the additional testing that needed to be asked for.

Great that it sounds like deworming is taken care of...but, we got to ensure giardia or coccidia is not a concern. Giardia is a super common cause for intermittent blood in the stool.

Also, I wanted to differentiate when you mentioned the bleeding is commoning from the rectum versus when we see blood associated with colitis.

If the bleeding was truly the rectum, definitely take a close look at the rectal tissue to ensure there is no swelling or irritation.

I hope that is a more detailed answer for you. Trying my best to provide more specifics.

Dr. Andy
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 4 years ago.
I hope everything is going okay. May I be of any further assistance?