Dr. Bruce
Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian with 15 years experience.
14018973

hi how long would it take for a head trauma to show signs .

Customer Question

hi how long would it take for a head trauma to show signs . After first visit to the vet the cat had earmits seamed to get better .But a few days later got bad again on the second visit blood in eyes and ears the vet did no xray or bloods can not remember if vet take blood presure. Earmit could not do that much damage ? or bad ear infection cause blood in ears/eyes to happen like meningitis . It was two weeks after first visit
Category: Cat
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 4 years ago.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

hi can ear mites cause a bad inner ear infection that could lead to neurological damage to the brain

Please understand it is rare for us not to be able to find the right Professional to assist our customers. We can either return your good faith deposit to the original funding source, or we can keep your deposit on your account here for future questions.

Please let me know how you wish to proceed and again I apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused.

I hope you will give JustAnswer a try again in the future,

Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 4 years ago.

Welcome. I'm Dr. Bruce and I've been a small animal veterinarian for over 12 years. One of the moderators pointed out your question to me here this morning. I'm sorry it has taken this long to get a response. Ear mites shouldn't cause a bad inner ear infection that could lead to neurological brain damage. Ear mites are limited to the outer ear canal where they complete their life cycle. They cause irritation and debris to build up in the outer ear canal. They cause discomfort and irritation. They can't by themselves penetrate into the inner ear to cause further issues. Here is a very good informative link on them.

http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&S=0&C=0&A=664

If there was physically blood in the eyes at some point, then a coagulation issue, high blood pressure issue, trauma to the eye, tumor in the eye, or platelet issue would have to be considered.