Dr. Barbara
Dr. Barbara, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 30 years experience in veterinary medicine and surgery.
56364752

cat that was using litter tray, has started to poop on hall

Customer Question

cat that was using litter tray, has started to poop on hall carpet(not spraying)
cat is indoor cat as he is fiv
we have 2 cats (they are very happy together - came together from same rescue home)
we have 3 litter trays which are changed 2 a day (using clumping litter)
there have been no chance in litter or household
i am cleaning and using odour remover and spraying repelent (but he justs moves to a different area - it is large hall way)

he is a nervous cat (he spend first 4 months hidden under the bed) but over the last 3 months we had made good process, and he stays in the same room as us, would be stroked, liked playing games (but he still is not an affectionate cat) but been change to household

i have not shouted at him, but knows he has done wrong, and will move away from area and stay out of lounge for an hour following mess

it has been happening over last 2 weeks, we can have a couple of days when he uses the litter tray and then it starts again

i have a young son so do not want to have to continue to have to been cleaning cat poop from carpet every day

i am not sure what to try next
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Barbara replied 4 years ago.

Dr.Barbara :

Hi, Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm a licensed veterinarian and I'll be happy to help. You certainly have presented Twizzle and your other cat with a good home! I'm also impressed that you have 1 more litter box than cats. . .this is the recommendation. Since Twizzle is a nervous cat, this is probably the cause of his abnormal pooping behavior, but always before assigning a change in behavior like this we need to make sure that our pet isn't sick with something. Even if Twizzle has no other symptoms, a vet exam there with possibly a fecal test is indicated. Does Twizzle have any other health symptoms at all? Has he been given a general dewormer from your vet's office? Thanks, Dr. Barbara

JACUSTOMER-td1dpw47- :

hi, thanks for response there are no other symptoms , he had full health check in september before he arrived with us, i have not given him a dewormer since then but was sure, he needed this as he does not leave the house ? he would find it very stressful to go to vet, unless he absolutely has to (and very difficult to get into cat carrier )

Dr.Barbara :

I understand! If and when you do need to take him somewhere, a top loading carrier is easiest, or turn the front loading carrier on end and put Twizzle into the carrier rear first. Also, while in the car it usually is comforting to cats to have a sheet or light blanket over the carrier so they can't see out.

Dr.Barbara :

A very common parasite that infects cats is roundworms and these are actually zoonotic. . .they can also infect humans. As long as he and all other pets in the household are never out side it is highly unlikely that he would have this parasite, unless he came to you with it. Since your vet saw him last September, he/she may just send home a dewormer without seeing Twizzle right now, so I'd call to ask. We have a topical dewormer here in the States, and you may also have that there.

Dr.Barbara :

One thing you can try in your home is called Feliway. It is a cat calming pheromone and comes as a spray or a diffuser that you would plug into the wall. Some people have good success with this in calming their kitties.

Dr.Barbara :

I'm wondering if Twizzle in the past 2 weeks is feeling nervous about actually using the litter box. It does take longer to defecate than urinate, and if Twizzle is feeling uncomfortable at all about being in the box for any length of time the he may not use it regularly. Are your boxes all in quiet but readily available places?

Dr.Barbara :

Another thing that can help calm cats is to provide them with kitty trees that have platforms up high for them to lay on.

Dr.Barbara :

Finally, there is a drug called Reconcile (fluoxetine) that increases the serotonin neurotransmitter of the brain. This would require a trip to the vet for an exam and a prescription, but a course of this would probably be very helpful.

Dr.Barbara :

I sure hope that these suggestions are ultimately helpful. If you have any further questions or comments please don't hesitate to reply. I'm in California and it is 11:43 PM here, so I'm off to bed. I'll check in first thing in the morning.

Dr.Barbara :

Dr. Barbara