Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience treating cats in my practice.
16881297

My cat has hyperthyroidism. this is a holiday weekend. She

Customer Question

My cat has hyperthyroidism. this is a holiday weekend. She has finished her antibiotic treatment. Was all right for two days. Now she is sick and bowels very loose again. What can I give her?
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 4 years ago.

Good Morning and welcome. I am Dr. Loretta , a licensed veterinarian and am happy to answer your question.

I am so sorry to hear that Nicki is not feeling well....I know this is frightening not knowing what to do for her.

I have a few questions to help me better assist you.

What is she doing that tells you she is sick? Vomiting? Diarrhea?

Does Nicki want to eat? Does she vomit after eating?

Sincerely, Dr. Loretta

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

She has vomited once so far but has diarrhea. she almost demands food which reappears undigested.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

She has vomited once and has diarrhea. She is following me around wanting more food but has had her normal amount. when sick here food came up mostly undigested. I.m afraid she might become dehidrated.

Thank you Ruby for that information.

You are going to have to limit Nicki's food intake and before you give the food, give her Pepcid AC at 0.5 mg per pound every 8 hrs. This will reduce the acid production that is causing her digestive disturbance. It may help , also, to fast Nicki for 24 hrs prior to feeding and give the Pepcid AC during the fast. This will allow her digestive tract to calm down and heal.

Also, giving Nicki a bland diet of rice and boiled chicken may help calm down her tract. If you are afraid of dehydration if she is still vomiting, give her Pedialyte, 1-2 ounces every 4 hrs with a dropper.

If she does not respond to this treatment, Ruby, then you will have to have your vet examine her...if she is not being treated for her hyperthyroidism, this may be the time to start.

Does that make sense to you, Ruby?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please Reply so I can clarify for you

Sincerely, Dr. Loretta