Dr. Jo
Dr. Jo, Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM from Iowa State University in 1994; actively engaged in private regular and emergency practice since that time.
36050890

My cat (age approx 12) doesnt pass solids very often. He is

Customer Question

My cat (age approx 12) doesn't pass solids very often. He is a neutered male (an indoor cat) and has always been fed on chicken and fish.I am concerned as he has only passed one small motion in the past week. He doesnt appear to be in any distress.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 4 years ago.

Dr. Jo :

Dr. Jo :

My name isXXXXX and I will do my best to help you with your questions about your cat. I'm so sorry he's having trouble and has you worried. To join the conversation, please type in what you want to say and click REPLY.

Dr. Jo :

Am I understanding correctly that his diet has long been exclusively chicken and fish? Nothing else?

Dr. Jo :

Even though cats are carnivores, I'm afraid that isn't a balanced diet and it is likely to lead to problems in the long run. His diet may be the reason he is having trouble now.

Dr. Jo :

This decrease in bowel movements is most likely due to one of two things:

Dr. Jo :

1. He is actually eating less. Therefore less stool is being made. If this is the case you need to direct your focus on why he is eating less.

Dr. Jo :

2. He is eating normally, but has an issue that is preventing the normal passage of bowel movements.

Dr. Jo :

That could be caused by many different things.

Dr. Jo :

Constipation without some other illness being present is very rare. This can be the result of dehydration, kidney disease, liver disease, a problem with the digestive organs themselves, or even cancer. Unfortunately, it will take a veterinary examination to sort out which one of these things it is.

Dr. Jo :

I see you've now gone offline. I hope you are not having technical difficulties with our chat mode. I will try leaving this mode and going to our Q&A mode. Just type in what you want to say and click REPLY. I'm happy to keep discussing this with you until you're happy with the information I've provided.

Dr. Jo :

I'll look forward to hearing from you soon. I want to do all I can to help you with your cat.