Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey, Board Certified
Experience:  15 yrs in practice, specialist canine/feline medicine
20970409

Over 2 months ago brought cat to vet, she was not eating much. Cat

Customer Question

Over 2 months ago brought cat to vet, she was not eating much.
Cat had gingivitis and a temperature. Cat got a long lasting antibiotic and a pain killer.
A few weeks later problem persisted, went to vet. Cat got a long lasting antibiotic and a pain killer.
A few weeks later problem still persisted, went to vet. Cat got a long lasting antibiotic and a pain killer.
A few weeks later problem still persisted, went to dental vet, to have teeth looked at. The cat was sedated had teeth cleaned and scraped. Vet said cat might need a tooth with deep root removed, but had bled so much during cleaning that it would be left to see if cleaning was enough. Cat got a long lasting antibiotic and a pain killer.
I brought the cat back 2 weeks later for check up to see if the teeth were alright. I was told the teeth looked good. I should keep an eye on the cat to see that she didn’t lose any more weight.
During the following week the cat avoided me as much as possible, staying out all day and hiding away at night, while still hardly eating anything. She came in on Wed evening and staggered around a while. I phoned the vet who went to his clinic. After checking the cat she got a long lasting pain killer. I was told to bring her back if she isn’t eating by Monday.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Rebecca replied 4 years ago.
Hello!

I am sorry you have not gotten help before now. I just saw your question.

I am sorry to hear about Smokey.

My name is Rebecca. I am a veterinarian, and will do my best to help.

Have any blood tests been done, to check for internal disease? Is there any vomiting, or diarrhea? Is she drinking water normally, less than normal, more than normal?

Rebecca
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I'm sorry I asked. You have answered with 4 or five questions. She is having a tooth extracted on Monday and having blood tests. She is not vomiting or does not have diarrhea. She has not drinking or eating much. Thank you.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 4 years ago.
Yes, that was an info request, not an answer! I was trying to get more information, so I could give my best answer. I saw that you had tried the long acting antibiotic and pain medication, and wanted to ask if any diagnostics tests had been done. I am sorry if I did not make that clear.

I hope having blood tests, and having the tooth extracted, help her get better.

Please let me know if you would like me to help further.

Rebecca
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thank you. Bloods taken, waiting for results. Vet broke tooth during extraction. Had bur at other surgery, so didn't continue. Back tomorrow for broken tooth extraction. What a mess.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 4 years ago.
Harold,
I am sorry to hear the tooth broke! Were they able to remove it all?

When you get the blood tests back, if you have any questions I can help with, please let me know.

Rebecca
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Relist: Other
I do not want a medical opinion, just a comment on what you think. I don't drive. Should I get a taxi to see another vet.
Expert:  Rebecca replied 4 years ago.
Harold,

I am sorry, I am not sure what you are asking. What I think and a medical opinion are pretty much the same thing, since I am a veterinarian.

I am still not sure whether the broken tooth was entirely removed, or not. If she is still sick, if the broken tooth is still there, then she should be seen by a veterinarian.