Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

My cat just semi-collapsed.

Customer Question

My cat just semi-collapsed. Her back end went completely limp and she had urinary incontinence which she has never had before (she is 14). She was conscious but appeared 'stunned'. after 10 mins or so she was able to slowly walk but seems very unsteady. She is booked in at the vets in the morning as she keeps getting recurrent bouts of stomatitis which are being treated with steroid injections/antibiotics. Is this linked or something new?

Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 4 years ago.
Aloha! You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin
I'm sorry to hear of this with Charlie. Her therapy for stomatitis isn't related to her collapse. We would suspect a cardiac event - a syncopal episode in which blood pressure dropped precipitously - usually seen with advanced heart muscle disease (cardiomyopathy). A vascular accident (stroke) should be considered as well. Thromboembolism is common secondary to cardiomyopathy and a blood clot can form in the brain as well as in the distal aorta. This is called a saddle thrombus and can cause the paresis/paralysis you witnessed.

Effective acute care isn't available for the disorders I mentioned above so simply keeping Charlie comfortable at this time is appropriate. It is prudent, however, to keep her appointment in the morning. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.