Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey, Board Certified
Experience:  15 yrs in practice, specialist canine/feline medicine
20970409

My cat has blood in her poo and is occasionally dripping blood

Customer Question

My cat has blood in her poo and is occasionally dripping blood around the litter tray.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 3 years ago.

Dr. Joey :

Hello I am Dr. Joey. Thanks for trusting me to help you and your pet today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 15 years of experience. I look forward to working with you.

Dr. Joey :

This is certainly not a simple problem. There are many possible causes of frank blood in the stool. The causes in a cat of Tigger's age can range from inflammatory bowel disease to intestinal parasites to ingestion of unusual item that upset the system to unusual infection (salmonella, etc) to endocrine disease (hyperthyroidism, diabetes) to cancer. This is really one of those signs that is an indication she needs an immediate veterinarian visit for an exam and some testing (stool check, lab work (CBC, Chemistry profile, urine check and thyroid check) +/- xrays.

Dr. Joey :

In the meantime, there are not a lot of over-the-counter options to improve this. I can suggest trying to feed a diet higher in fiber to see if this helps. For example, you can purchase Royal Canin Fiber Response from your vet which can help. Otherwise, you can try feeding some canned pumpkin (1/2 teaspoonful) mixed with her food twice daily. However, I always find fiber is unpredictable. Some cats respond like magic to it and it resolves all issues, whereas other cats will worsen. There are not any medications that you can purchase that are not prescription to help.

Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 3 years ago.

You appear to be unavailable for a live chat or we are having a difficult time connecting. I am at a point I need to know what questions you have. We can continue our dialog in this setting.

I hope that the information I provided has been helpful.

Please remember to select REPLY TO EXPERT if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer.

My goal is to provide the best answer possible prior to you leaving a feedback rating.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Would it be possible that she just needs worming? She has been living away from me for a few months and may not have been wormed in that time.

Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 3 years ago.
Intestinal parasites are certainly possible, especially if she goes outdoors and regularly ingests small animals (rodents). But if she is indoor only then this is not very likely. Adult cats have somewhat of a resistance to intestinal parasites. But if you want to deworm her then you can certainly do so. You would want to deworm her either with pyrantel (give one dose as directed on the package) OR fenbendazole (Panacur is one trade name) which is usually given once daily for 5 days in a row in cats. Both dewormers are available over-the-counter and should not worsen the problem. Other dewormers do not work as well.

Overall, I am more suspicious of one of the other issues that I mentioned above.