Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  I have been a practicing veterinarian for over 30 years.
60411192

my cat as swelling under her eye

Customer Question

my cat as swelling under her eye
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 4 years ago.
Hello, I'm Dr. Deb and I'll do my best to help you today.

I'm sorry for this concern about Tilly but I do have few questions to ask about her first, if you don't mind:

1. How long has the swelling been present?
2. Is it located directly under her eye?
3. Is it painful when you touch it?
4. Is she still eating ok?
5. Any drooling or discharge from her mouth?

There may be a slight delay after I receive your answers since I have to type up a response to you. Thanks for your patience. Deb

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

shes had it 3days it is directly under her eye she does not like it wen u touch it shes a bit off her food no drooling or discharge that i can see

Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 4 years ago.
Jane:
Thanks so much for the answers to my questions.

Based on the information you've provided, it sounds like Tilly may have an infected tooth....this is commonly called a Tooth Root Abscess which is basically pus that is taking the path of least resistance and creating an abscess on her face.

Some of these cats are still eating while others might be running a mild fever (and thus have a decreased appetite) or experience pain/discomfort when they eat so they have less interest.

A visual exam of her mouth might not reveal any abnormalities; usually this is determined under anesthesia or with dental x-rays.

Unfortunately, there won't be anything that you can give her over the counter for this problem. The best solution is to remove the tooth and treat with antibiotics although I know you'll be worried about anesthesia in a cat her age.
I will sometimes dispense oral antibiotics for these older cats with this problem (especially if they are anesthetic risks). If they respond, then I will keep them on a low dose of Amoxicillin for as long as necessary to control the infection. Obviously, this isn't the optimum solution but it's a practical one for many cats and their owners.

I realize that my answer may not be what you want to hear but I would be doing a disservice to both you and Tilly if I were less than truthful and honest in my response to you. I hope you understand.

I also hope that this is helpful and that you will have Tilly seen by your vet so that treatment options can be discussed. Deb